Ich in DT - Looking for Treatment Advice

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Marshall O, May 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

All fish are now in the 10 gallon HT. I love my acclimate box! I was easily able to catch all 4 fish without having to move a single rock :)

Copper will start tomorrow. Biological filter in the 10 gallon is doing very so far. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate (the latter two tested with API test kit, so there could be undetectable nitrates).

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Just to update, copper treatment for the remaining fish is now complete. Unfortunately there was another casuality. The 10 gallon HT I used has a glass top, and I thought I had all openings in the back closed up. However somehow my Tiger Wardi Goby managed to jump out of the tank, and into the HOB filter. It took me 30 minutes to find him after I realized he was missing. After that happened, his health quickly declined :( Never ate again after that. The remaining 3 fish are doing just fine (M&F Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse and Midas Blenny), and now Ich free. They are still in the 10 gallon, but will be moved over to the 125 at the end of the month, which will be 9 weeks of being fallow.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

thanks for the update Marshall! Glad to hear you've been able to save some fish and are looking at the ability to have them in the DT again.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Thanks OFK :) All in all I think this was the way to go. I am looking forward to at least doing everything I can do keep Ich out of my new 125.

6. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

You'll have to treat every new fish that you put in the tank, not just QT and watch.

I wish you all the luck.

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Indeed, but I am not at the point where I want to prophylactically treat all new fish with copper :-/ If it wasn't a poison to the fish, then I certainly will. But unless someone can tell me 100% that it will not affect the long term health of fish, I don't think it is worth it to put them through.

So for now I have only treated those affected. I am sticking to 6-8 week long quarantine of all new fish, obviously monitoring for any signs of disease. I already treat all new fish with Prazi-pro, but it is reef safe and so a no-brainer. Other than that, I plan to only treat new fish that show signs of Ich or other disease. What are your thoughts on this?

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

I can't bring myself to treat new fish prophylactically for Ich either. I treat for worms and flukes, but that stuff is pretty benign. I've had several fish get by QT without showing signs of Ich..... to only show it later. It can never be simple, can it.

There's a bout of Ich going on right now in the 100g. But these guys do that every now and then if we tick them off.

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Ok, so we are doing the same thing :) I do feel that if you do a proper length QT period, you should at least be able to see signs of disease during that time. If one or two Ich looking white spots show up during that time, I don't see that as a reason to treat right away. However if they are covered, that is a different story. I cheated when I took the Flasher Wrasse out of the QT, as it was only 3-4 weeks. I won't make that mistake again.

11. Renee@LionfishLair

Maybe instead of making my QT tanks so pleasant and peaceful, I need to bring the tank in the TV room next to the surround sound and 65" TV. If that can't expose a hiding case of Ich, I don't know what can! I'll even rent the 3 y.o. next door to come tap on the glass and feed it cookies.

Was this the thread where we were talking about the number of reproductive cycles being limited in a closed environment?

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Too funny Renee!

No, it isn't. But from what I understand it is around a year though, no? Assuming nothing is added to the tank that could re-introduce it.