Ich in DT - Looking for Treatment Advice

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Marshall O, May 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

The garlic thing.... is there any research to support it causes fatty liver disease in fish? I've looked high and low for something to support that. All I have are articles that state how it reduces fatty liver disease.

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Good to know Renee. Copper it is.

Good read Alex. I do use Kent Garlic Extreme, but I have never been under the impression it had any ability to kill off Ich. I have been under the impression it may increase feeding response (I have not really seen a difference myself), but more importantly to increase a fishes immune system. Now if it is truly detrimental to their health, then I will certainly cease use! Either way, thanks for the link man.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

do you only have live sand in the DT Marshall? the reason I'm asking is that if you have some sand around (wasn't sure what you were planning with the 46) then you could put a little Tupperware bowl of sand in with the goby. Just a thought.....My goby eats everything that my other fish do so I'm hoping yours will do the same. I know Corailline had a goby when she went BB (that sounds funny :)) and the goby was ok.....

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Well mine is a sand-sifting goby, instead of just a watchman goby. It sifts sand all day long searching for fauna in the sand. This is it's primary source of food, with any prepared foods just a supplement. All fauna would die while using copper, so unfortunately that would not work :(

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Marshal, this is only anecdotal so take it FWIW. When I had my FO tank, I kept the SG at 1.017 constantly. I worked for a LFS at the time and would bring home sickly specimens to get them healed up and back to the store for sale. I have had powder blue's, hippos, and just about every other type of ich magnet fish you could think of in that tank, some of them going in there covered with visible spores. I never lost a fish in that tank to the disease. If I were going to treat this, that's the way I would do it. Now, I did leave them in there for 3 or 4 months minimum but never had any sort of ich hang around in that tank. Once again, I don't need the responses from those folks saying "it wasn't the salinity" because that may be true and I understand that. This just always worked for me.

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

No worries! I would prefer people to give their thoughts and ideas, even if they don't turn out to be good ones :)

I imagine possibly the biggest contributor would be the higher DO in the water with the lower salinity. This probably helped infected fish to boost their immune quicker than a tank at 1.026. I do plan to keep the salinity in the HT lower (around 1.023), but obviously you don't want to go to low when using Cupramine. And obviously I can't lower salinity in my DT or 46 due to corals, LR, etc.

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

@Renee, ok its been a while since I read that but I thought he had alot of notations to studies in the posts.

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

You are probably right....I do wish we could get corals to cooperate at a lower salinity, that would make things much easier for me.

12. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Please let me know if you run across a reference. I'm still looking, but I cant find one.