Ich heat speed up?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Guy, Jan 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

This information is incorrect. Raising temp is for freshwater ich, NOT marine ich.

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Well, temperature won't outright kill saltwater ich, but in a SW tank, you can use a small increase in temperature to speed up the lifecycle of the parasite. This requires you to have copper/formalin/hyposalinity in place, in order to actually do the killing, but can help an infestation in the DT to die off faster if the tank is fallow.

4. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

i did it with a hydrometer and it was good lol but i'd still recommend a refractometer; way more accurate then a hydrometer.

5. Guy

Guy Spaghetti Worm

Its well appreciated either way. I do have friends who have tanks ranging from 125 to 500 gallons, but I doubt that they would want to release the parasite into their expensive environments. The LFS might take it. They have a couple marine task that the tang could be treated in. I'm hoping they will. :)

6. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

That's true, but it's not a cure in and of itself, as the LFS suggested. Because it is effective at killing freshwater ich, it's often transferred to saltwater incorrectly. A simple mistake almost resulted in cooked fish.

7. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Why can't you just get a tank and do hypo? IMO it's good for the tang because u can take him to the LFS sooner and the tang will actually be brought to them happy. but then again if your LFS downright sucks and they have ick infested tank like mine and you bring them the tang healthy... well i wouldnt know what to say XD

8. Click Here!

9. Guy

Guy Spaghetti Worm

Well getting water from my 29 and filling up a 20 gal with it is too risky in my opinion; it would mean a huge water change in the biocube. If I had a 125, or a larger tank on the other hand, itd be different. if I had two months to get a 29 gallon and let it fully cycle with new water, id be on that with tenacious determination. but, alas, I don't see the time. My best option for now is to find a new owner who can treat it properly.

PS: Sorry corailline, forgot to thank you for the link. :D thanks for the help!

EDIT: TSG , the way you describe your lfs sounds like you shop at Petco.

1 person likes this.
  10. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

I'm assuming he has coral and inverts on the tank... Doing hypo could kill them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

11. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

i mean a quarantine tank, and yes ur right on that note

12. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

welll i guess find a new owner soon; i highly doubt that u want the tang to die.