Ich - final attempt

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by heffernan, Sep 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. heffernan

heffernan Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thats is disheartening knowing you can still get ich even with a lengthy process of quarantining. Has anyone had any success keeping it out with a quarantining process?

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

My opinion only disclaimer:

I think it is a very rare exception to have a display with no marine ich present. The best way to deal with marine ich is create as much as a stress free environment as possible by.

Slow introduction of fish to young systems, allow the bacterial filter to catch up in between additions.
    Do not try to over stock you tank regardless of your filtration, avoid overcrowding.
    If bullying is going on remove the aggressor.
    Maintain water parameters consistently ie: keep nitrates within a manageable range and no detectable ammonia or nitrites.
    Feed a variety of quality foods, do not depend on one type of food or brand.
    Buy a healthy fish that is eating and shows absolutely no sign of disease.

QT is an excellent practice, you are QTing for a lot of other pathogens then marine ich. You can immediately start treatment should another disease pop up.

You can pretty much guarantee tangs will fall victim to the opportunistic parasite first.

The use of a UV filter may provide limited assistance, but any assistance is worth it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

That's sounds like the normal reproductive cycle, I'm afraid, and not the end of the Ich.

We first see them on the fish in their Trophont stage. Usually around 3-7 days later they bail (as you've seen) and enter the next part of their cycle (Protomont). Then they encapsulate on a surface and grow little "children" within (Tomont). Then the new parasites (theront) erupt from the encapsulation and begins the hunt for a fish to feed on.

6. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

+1 great advice!

7. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

Done

E

8. Click Here!

9. newguy420

newguy420 Skunk Shrimp

This is the thinking I subscribe to. I know that saying ich is very unlikely to be completely removed from the aquarium is the equivalent to flipping off the pope... But a lot of people for a lot of years have had much success with this approach.