ICH! clown has it

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Toallhisdoom, Jun 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You removed the fish and placed into a non cycled system?

You may be able to effectively treat the clown but you unless you leave display fallow you will be returning the clown back into a tank with ich.

I agree and make sure it's ich and not Brookynella.

The link below should assist you in making a fairly educated decision on the most appropriate course of treatment for your individual case.

Marine Ich - Myths and Facts

Good luck

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

well all i did was suck water from my display. and take live rock out of my sump. so its all cycled.

4. Toallhisdoom

ok so wth do i do? if the ich is in the display then there's just no way of getting it out? and my fish will all just be susceptible to it forever?

5. Corailline

The tank may have some biological filtering capability you are right, but it's not cycled and you will have to still watch for an ammonia spike and take the appropriate action. Water does not hold a lot of nitrifying bacteria where as rock does.

My suggestion is keep researching, do not make quick changes or treatments.
    Reduce stress, feed HUFA foods and garlic, maintain good water quality, do not over stock.

Less is sometimes and often more in this hobby IMO.
    Now other more lethal parasites such as Brookynella are another story.

6. Toallhisdoom

Will brookynella kill my other fish? or just my clowns? and i just dont get it, the live rock has been in my tank for 6 months, its just an empty tank with water, and already cured and cycled live rock. so explain to me how moving it from one tank to another can cause a cycle?

7. Corailline

I am not saying move the rock from one tank to another causes a cycle.

I am saying that nitrifying bacteria types colonize or grow over all substrate and mediums in a tank, walls, filter media, rock and substrate.

My previous post also stated that yes you have provided a certain amount of filtering capacity but you still should error on the side of caution and monitor for an ammonia spike.

I have done the exact same thing you did, with a fluval and after many mistakes and errors over the years this has been my experience. I have also bought and treated a lot of clownfish over the years.

More than one way to skin a cat and this is just my personal experience.

8. Click Here!

9. Toallhisdoom

oh ok. well i put quite a bit of rock in there for just 1 fish, and i am going to do about a 1 gallon water change per day to keep the water clean. the fish seems fine tho, other than having white spots. and swimming in a spot he normally does not swim in. He is still fast, alert, and eating fine. I have been feeding him some pellets i had that are meant to help boost immune system, and will get the selcon and garlic stuff tonight, or tomorrow. so hopefully he does ok. thanks for the tips!

10. Corailline

Sure NP.

Good luck to you. Eating is always a good thing.

11. Tavast

Tavast Bristle Worm

Hi there sweetie, just wanted to say Listen to Corrailline. She(?) really knows what she's talking about when it comes to ich. Make sure to read the article she provided. It is now my ich Bible after being through a bout of it myself. One thing you should know right off is that if one fish has it, they ALL have it. If the clown makes it more than 48 hours chances are it's not Brookynella, but the rest of the very specific info you need is in that article Corrailline posted. Good luck sweetie, I hope it all works out OK.

12. Toallhisdoom

ok great! well i noticed the clown acting "weird" kinda swimming in the corner, from what i can remember, 2 days ago. And he was alive and swimming this morning. I first noticed the spots last night however. So, i guess we will see by tomorrow night. Thanks for the help everyone!