ich and the quarantine tank

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by dfwatson, Nov 30, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dfwatson

dfwatson Astrea Snail

Guess I'll read some more at Wet Web, but I have done the fresh water dip and I'm not sure who was more freaked out, me or the fish. Anyway I have already ordered some Seachem Garlic Guard and copper test kit. And now 1 big helping of patience. Thanks for the input!

2. Click Here!

3. Reefkeeper

Reefkeeper Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Being a newbie, this might sound dumb. But if a healthy fish can hide ich and it comes out when under stress ,and you've thought you have cured it, then couldn't you stress the fish out to see if you have really got it all? wouldn't that tell you for sure ? dumb Q.?

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Nope not a dumb question. And this topic is one that will never die or go away pretty muck like ich in my opinion . I have always thought ich to just always be . I have seen fish in a system go for yrs nothing new added or removed nothing ever changed and one day a be it one or even a few of the old fish to be sporting spots.. Then I have had the very same experience to be brought on in a established tank again nothing new or removed and let the water get to warm or cold and out it pops also have seen a change in the system lighting period to bring it up from the depths . So I'm of the school all tanks have it and all will have it and if anyone ever tells you that they have never had an outbreak they are being less then truthful..

Honestly I think to much concern is given to this problem in that it alone is seldom if ever fatal . And more harm is done by ruining the waters quality with mediations and such to no avail .. And then the just messing with the tank in general poking around and trying to get rid of ich.. I just don't worry about it or try to treat it I just let the fish be and 99.9 % they alway slough it off on their own . I have a hippo tang sporting a few specks the otherday now they are clear and gone ..

1 person likes this.
  5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Ouch! :-/

Never a good reason to intentionally stress fish out.

If no sign of Ick, count yourself lucky, and leave well enough alone.

IMHO only.

6. Reefkeeper

Reefkeeper Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I think the info. is just what I needed to hear .
    After hearing what you said about how this can be in a tank thats been the same for years and then one day there it is and the next its gone, changes my thought of thinking about how not so much treating the Ich itself, but how well you can maintain your tank and to make your fish healthier so they can fight this on their own and I don't with meds.

The way my tank is now ,it wouldn't make much diff. what I treat with because I don't have the right set up.

Lights, not the right kind to do what I need, no timer on it and it doesn't get shut off at the same time everyday.
    [Not knowing this could bring out a out break of it .]

Cheap filter! no PS .

- Cheap test kits, that don't work as I'm told they should.

Right temp. when doing water changes,and how just a few degs. would make that much of a diff, lfs told me just let the water set over night to room temp. would be good!!

Not using aRO/DI and just using water con. with water changes.
    And I'm sure theirs more that makes this Ick come back, any stress right? The "cure" as I understand now, is how you care for your tank and fish. No getting rid of it 100% because you can't .

The Ich will always be. Am I close ? Tangster, thank you for taking the time to help me get a grip on this!!