ICH and temperature

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by kwinter1, Jun 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Dealing with ICH for the first time on. My achilles and purple tang have it. UV sterilizer and selcon will be here monday. But, my question is have you heard of increasing temperature to speed the hatching cycle of ich to cause less harm to the fish? My LFS recommended I take my temp from 79 to 82. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. I can't set up a hospital tank or use copper. thanks in advance!!

2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Raising the temperature can be effective for freshwater ich, not marine ich. That's where the confusion comes from.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Speeding up the life cycle will do nothing but help the parasite spread faster.

5. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Freshwater dip them. Match the PH in your tank. Leave fish in NO LONGER THAN 10 15 MINUTES. You will notice your fish floating on its side, just give it a few minutes and it should regain some ability to swim. Treat the tank for the next few weeks.

Doing a FW CAN KILL.

The point in upping the temp is to speed the cycle of the ich to the one cycle that is vulnerable to the medicine.

6. kwinter1

Interesting I wonder why?
    that's what i thought as well
    Though it may kill it it on the fish its still in the tank so I think this will just stress them out more and further damage their slime coat. just my thoughts on it. I would test this, but not on a 250 fish.
    Good news they still eat like crazy and they both now love pellets too.

7. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Find a natural based ich treatment and hope for the best. Dont forget to remove any carbon.

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Unfortunately, keeping your fish healthy and hoping for the best is about all you can do to treat ich in a reef tank. Other things that are partially accurate get mixed in and make it confusing for beginners, like garlic. It can help fish eat, but does nothing for ich. Same with the temperature thing. Partially accurate, but for freshwater.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Feed them the selcon. Reduce any stress and us the UV. Hope that they make through this stage of parasites life cycle and are more resistant when the parasite is again in the water column in larger numbers.

11. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I used STOP Parasites by Chem-Marin for marine Ich. It worked great for me with no re-infestation :) Did not hurt my coral nor inverts. The fish I had that were infected were 2x Firefish and 1 Clown goby. The Fire fish had it the worst, totally covered. I'm actually surprised that they lived.

12. kwinter1

I think this will be my route, they don't look very bad so I don't want to do anything drastic