Ich and Hippo Tang

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by techno2, Jan 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Thanks, I do plan on getting two as soon as I can find them. They have been hard to find as of late for me.

Cheers

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I'm not saying do what I do.. just sharing an experience. I didn't have a quarantine tank ... and I didn't really do anything for my Hippo tangs ick. The stress of the travel / tank change seems to always bring out the ick in hippos. Good diet.. seaweed/ brocolli seems to help. Mine had the spots for a full cycle. I would say mild ick. .. then round two came with some fewer spots. I think maybe his immune system built up against the strain. Combined with the fact that he's now comfortable in his environment... he no longer has the spots and seems back to his original happy free swimming self. Although Regal tangs are always a little shy. I will second the neon goby and the cleaner shrimp seems to be a relief for them.

4. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

All good info, thanks.
    The stress from the hippo move I would call extreame. She was lying flat in the bag before even getting home. Then sat at the bottom of the tank breathing heavy and hiding.

Got back to normal , then after a week of being in the DT, got the first case. a small breakout that wet away in a few days. Second was bigger, now the third case is the worst.

I will keep doing what I do, add some Brocolli and keep on the hunt for a goby.'

Hopefully she pulls through and even more that once solved, this isnt a regular occurance. I would be worried that she would give it to the other fish..

Thansk

5. extremeshocks87

extremeshocks87 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

This may be a stupid question but what does a neon gobie do for a tang clean him i thought you had to have a cleaner wrassle or cleaner shrimp?? I have a hippo that i must have got a lucky on. It has only got a little ick once and i have had him for a while now i put kent garlic xtreme in my frozen food.

6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Yes, Neon gobies clean larger fish.. whether or not it actually does anything for the ick is debatable. I think it makes them feel better when they are sick or at least it seems to be something they enjoy like a fish massage.

7. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

i have seen a N/gobie clean a ick spots off of a yellow T. I was watching closely and as it was working the tangs body it moved across a spot as it passed the spot was gone. i do have a yellow eye kole T. that wont take a cleaning from them.but i think its just that fish. ive seen others that do.my favorite is when they line up or gether up to be cleaned by them. i got a straw.bass that will go up and lay on them in the corner of the tank wanting to be cleaned when the gobies are not interested but, when they are cleaning the basslet you would think its dead the way it enjoys its cleaning. thank you all for reading my on and ons

8. Click Here!

9. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Just an update, The tang seemes to be pulling through. This last round was the worst. Hopefully the immune system is up to par now to prevent further outbreaks.

No QT or treatment, just the standard Garlic and good diet.

Whew..

10. randallreef

randallreef Plankton

my blue hippo has ich, have tried hospital tank and i too think this stresses fish out even more. I treat tank with kick-ich safe for reef and have uv light which is supposed to kill ich in free swimming stage and stop cycle

11. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

uv is also known to kill a lot of beneficial bacterias in the tank. Overdosing the kick-ich treatment can't be good for your display tank. Just feed it a wide variety of food and keep it's immune system up to par and keep the water parameters up to par and it will be fine. Too much dosing in the display can't be good especially if it's a reef tank, good luck, I hope it pulls through for you like it did for doublemk

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

somebody told me to blanch the brocolli before feeding it so it is easier for them to eat. I have never had luck with brocolli but never blanched it either..so am going to get some and try it.

I alternate Nori, algea sheets and romaine lettuce in my tank on a daily basis. They devour each one in very short time. Even my triggers will eat it now!

Hippos are notorious for ick and stress. They are very, very timid and will get an outbreak very easy. However if the fish is eating then dont worry.

I have had my hippo now for a year and half. When I first got it, it developed ick at a drop of a hat...however it would kick it in a day or so and always had a great appetite. I have heard that the baby hippos are the worse