Ich already.

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Av8Bluewater, Oct 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Well ... maybe I am confused. At what point can I put a single fish in?

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Yea well, nitrates at certain levels are harmful to fish and corals. More so to corals. And after you hit 0 on nitrite, nitrate is going to rise. How high? Who knows. The un-stable parameters are going to/probably did cause your fish enough stress to start showing it. I didn't look at the link.

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

JMO this is not a good idea. You aren't finished with your cycle yet.

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Depends on the fish. You can put a damsel in right away, and use that to cycle.

6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

But I don't have unstable paramaters.

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

What are your params?

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I only have 4 tests right now.
    Ammonia =0
    Nitrite=0
    Nitrate=0
    Ph 8.2
    SG 1.23
    Temp 77-78
    As of this morning.

This is what I did..
    Added dead shrimp.. it was in there about a week and I took it out.
    I was adding Stability until some of you guys told me to stop that. hehe smack smack
    Not sure if it did anything, but seemed to have no effect.
    Sometime in first week I added one damsel and 1 emerald crab to cleanup. they made it ok.
    I think week 2 I added 1 medium live rock from the LFS. I read somewhere if Nitrites stay elevated add a live rock with established bacteria , but mainly I bought it to start some coraline.
    Somewhere in week two I did a 10% water change cuz I was feeling guilty with the fish in the ammonia... didn't seem to change any readings.
    Somewhere in week two someone here mentioned carbon bag slows cycle ... I took that out... just didn't think about it for some reason when i started.
    Tried to keep my temp high.. was around 82-83 for faster bacteria growth.

Ammonias rose to upper part of card but never went off the scale.. Elevated steady high for about 10-11 days.
    Nitrites slowly rose to upper part of the card steady for about 12 days then went back to 0

Near the end of the elevated Nitrites the nitrates had a small rise to about 20 for several days and it now back to 0.. It was nearly impossible to tell if it was 10 or 20 on the card. Maybe it's a fluke that my Nitrates didn't come up much I'm watching that closely.
    I didn't start using the skimmer until about 3 days ago and it is removing some gunk. I did a 25% water change about 3-4 days ago as well. I don't have my log with me i'm in a hotel.

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

a cleaner shrimp may help, very little bioload. regal tangs seem to get ich when stressed very easily atleast that is what i have seen in my friends tanks.

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Sounds like you cycled in record time. What I look for is what you had. Rise in ammonia, then decline. Rise in nitrites, then decline. Rise in nitrates, then small decline, then it would start rising again. Then WC and consider yourself done. That is what I look for.

Now, are you using a sump with macroalgae in it or a denitrator that has been cycling with the tank? I am a bit confused with the 0 nitrate level especially considering the stock you have in there at the one month mark.

And BTW, thank God 3reef is back up. I was going through some serious withdrawls.

WRT your tang. Yeah, get a small QT and make sure he is cool. Good idea.

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I don't have macro or denitrator. I am looking for refugium equipment and probably going to get a shaving brush, mermaid fan for the display. Basically I have berlin sock, sponge, carbon bag, and protein skimmer. I do have 2 cleaner shrimp and the emerald crab, not much food left after the feedings.