Icecap MH Spot Pendant

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Gresham, Oct 2, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Throw away your metal halide pendants, this one will take over the market, just you see. ;D ;D

I LOVE this unit. It looks great, the hanging system is top notch, and the light that this new bulb throws in UN BE LEAVE ABLE :eek:simply put. Side by side comparison, using a PFO 150w DE HQI pendant, same Icecap ballast and this, leaves no room to question which throws more light. I'm selling my PFO (just bought about 2 months ago ;) ) and getting another one of these.

I'm using the 6500k 150w flood version, but I'm waiting on the 20K 150w flood version so i can do a real side by side test of my PFO and it. I really don't need to go there though, there is no question who will win.

specs, pics, and links

2. Click Here!

3. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Hey Gresham,
    The Ice-cap pandant is very cool looking. 8)My only question is what to do for actinic supplement? With only a 65K bulb (too yellow for my taste) or 20K (too blue) how do you get the color balance? I guess if you had 2 pendants you could maybe add some sort of retro outside the pendants connecting them. Just a thought.
    Thanks, Scott

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I'm going to hang another pendant just with my actinics in it. Belive it or not, and this is coming from a 6500k hater, this one has a good color. I do love what actinics do though, so I'm adding them :) I can't wait to see the 20k, I like it in certain situations. The nice thing about these bulbs is you can get a spot or a flood version. Makes lighting ideas start to flow. God send for nanos, barely anu heat put downwards. The bulbs look like some normal incadescent flood bulb, but it's got a DE HQI mounted inside.

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I should have added that the other actinic pendant will not be a Icecap, I made it.

6. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Hey Gresh,
    What is the physical dimension of the pendent? Also what is the expected useful life of the bulbs? How close are you hanging pendent/bulb from water surface?
    Thanks, Scott

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

If you use an electonic ballast, the bulb is rated for 2 years.  I'm hanging it about 10 inches above the water line to get the throw I need.  I'll measure the unit when I get home.  It was about 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" top portion, like 8 x 8 on the bottom side and like 10 tall.

I've seen these bulbs in pictures on Euro and Japanesse tanks for some time.  Most incredible tanks usually incorperated these bulbs into their lighting scheme.

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

[​IMG]
    This beauty is about as big as my hand.

[​IMG]  
    Looks great over my new frag tank (sorry for the blurry shot, my camera has taken a dump on me.  bye bye ccd)

[​IMG]  
    This DE HQI 150 watt 6500k flood version metal halide bulb has it's own internal reflector, as well as a built in UV shield.  

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Man oh man, look at that stainless steel. Sure needs to be polished :)