Icecap 660 opinions?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Blade_Runner, Jun 29, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. The Salt Creep

The Salt Creep Astrea Snail

The fulham will drive 96's, not overdrive them. Why pay for a 110 watt lamp and only run it at 70 or 80 watts? Ice Cap advantages over fulham,

The Ice Cap will not only run 6 foot VHO's, you can run 4 110 watt four foot VHO's on a single ballast at full power.

The lamps will last longer with the Ice Cap ballast. They use a high frequency signal to ignite the lamp rather than an arc which prevents the material from being blown off the lamp electrodes.

The Ice cap monitors the internal resistance of the lamp and decreases power as the lamp ages and the resistance drops which saves power and extends lamp life. Fulham only has a shutdown circuit in the case of a PC lamp when the resistance drops below a certain point

The Ice Cap has a safety circuit that prevents arcing and will shut down if a lamp fails or a lamp circuit opens or shorts.

If you are raising corals lighting is one of the most important parts of the system, Getting good lighting equipment is hardly flash or fancy.

2. Click Here!

3. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Thanks for the info. All said, I've got a price of $310 with the bulbs. There isn't that big of a difference in price. I think this is pretty cheap for the IceCaps. I'm going to go with it. I was really concerned about it being enough for the 210. It does sound like a high quality piece of hardware.

4. mmakay

mmakay Feather Duster

You have done an excellent job of repeating all of the IceCap marketing. Independant testing by the guys at Reef Keeping, however, showed that the IceCap did not burn any brighter, and the bulbs actually lasted longer on the Fulham.

(Note that I use IceCap ballasts on my MH and really like them. I just don't think their flourescant ballast are anything special...they just have good marketing guys. I'm a marketing guy myself, so I know BS when I see it.)

5. The Salt Creep

I've repeated the explaination for results I am many others experienced running Ice Cap equipment. I am not familar with Reef Keeping but I have a WH 7, Ice Cap 660 and URI A4 ballast and know first hand that fulham does not drive the lamps as bright as the IC or even the URI which is just a cheap version of the 660. Fulham themselves admit their ballast underdrives 110 watt VHO's but you go ahead and believe what you want.

I am done.

6. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

7. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

But back on topic. How deep is your 300G?

8. Click Here!

9. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

This is for the 210 and it is about 24-26" to the bed.

10. The Salt Creep

T5's are better than VHO PAR wise but nobody touches URI's actinic VHO. How long and deep front to back is your tank?

11. The Salt Creep

How wide are your coralvue reflectors? (not length)

12. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam