i will go to the beach of the red sea ... can i get some sand ????

Discussion in 'Sand' started by minajaguar, Aug 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

Some people would take them and put the fish in a bowl b/c they look good, so I can see why they dont want just anyone taking fish

2. Click Here!

3. SeminoleB

SeminoleB Coral Banded Shrimp

I dive at least 3-4 times a month and would love to take some of what I see with me (which is why I got into SW Aquariums in the first place,) but I have seen tons of damage that has been done to the reefs I dive and just think it is best if we leave what is in the ocean there... Just MHO...

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ahh you are local. Well I used local sand in a 20 hex years back (from out here in Northern California) with no ill effects except for a giant sand flea - but it is a gamble. Hard to say what you will get.

matt

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

that is cool then!!!!!! I would love to see the red sea.

As far as using the sand from there.....i would be a little concerned over the safety of it.
    From what i understand, and i did look this up just now, is that the salinity of the red sea is SOOO much higher than other oceans etc so I would think even if it didnt carry some bad organism in, you would have a large die off when you put it at lower salinity (sand wise)

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

One of my friends from Egypt was able to acquire live sand and rock from the Red Sea, he ended up with a Cirolanid parasites, so beware. He also states the fines and enforcement for harvesting from the Red Sea is strictly enforced.