I want to switch to LED but know nothing about them

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Greg9MM, Nov 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

I kinda like these. has anyone had these on a tank thats 32 inches deep?

2. Click Here!

3. Sgoodman

Sgoodman Astrea Snail

Go with a couple of Apollo solar blast.. Can't beat the price doing it yourself and have plenty of power to reach the bottom. Just bought a couple myself, don't have them hooked up yet but look good and have gotten great reviews...

4. roblox84

roblox84 Bristle Worm

I have a 6 ft tank with a diy fixture and while it looks really nice, I would not do it again mainly because of the resale value. Majority of people will not want to buy a diy fixture from you if you ever want to get rid of it or you will take a big loss. The only thing I can say for them is that they have paid for themselves many times over this past year. They cost approx. $400 to build and my electric bill dropped $100 a month. So with a more expensive fixture I'm looking at about 2-3 years to recoup cost.

I'm currently looking at the kessil a350 as I couldn't find a bad review about them. People say the color and spectrum is much nicer then the radions I was looking at and they take up much less real estate. I have also read that the spectrum of the kessils was specifically engineered for coral growth as opposed to other fixtures that just have a bunch of different LEDs thrown together.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  5. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Kessil's spectrum is not as good as a Radions.
    A razors spectrum is better than a radion.
    A DIY fixture done right has the best specrum.

6. roblox84

roblox84 Bristle Worm

I'm not an expert but from what I researched I got 3 useable wave lenghts for the radion, white, 450, 460 with red and green thrown in for aesthetics and to differentiate themselves. The kessils have 5, 395, 450, 460, 470, and white.

Don't get me wrong but the radion looks damn sweet but I'm not sure if it's worth the price which is what I'm currently trying to decide on.

7. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

395nm is UV, in reef aquariums your looking for TV (420-430nm)
    450-470 is RB-CB
    There isn't a white spectrum, I know they don't use neutral or Warm whites. But then again nor does the Radion...

8. Click Here!

9. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Also red (660nm?) Is useful to photosynthesis.

10. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

Been a while since I posted this.

So, I have been away from 3 reef for a long time and I still have the same tank. Got hooked up with a halide set up that has been keeping my tank going for a while but it just crapped out yesterday so i have a little toy light on my tank now. I need to buy lights right away and need help with LEDs.

So, the tank is a 150 high. 48" across and 32" deep. I have leathers, frogspawn and hammers. I dont have a chance with DIY kits so i would like to buy something that I take out of the box and plug in.

Any help is much appreciated.

11. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

12. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

Dont really have a budget. Want to keep it reasonable. A friend is pushing me toward Kessel units which i actually like a lot. Dont know anything about what kind of bulbs though