I want to grow phytoplankton in my old tank

Discussion in 'Algae' started by coyle, Oct 31, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

nope, never ::)

Ty for link

AH yeah, I've seen em in my LFS freege, $20 for a bottle, Ill get it from LFS then, but the problem is I don't know for how long bottles sit there. 1 Bottle is like just 100 pods or less, some of them are dead...
    Curious if there any "Best before" on the label :D

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  4. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

We had to put a chiller on the culture tank to keep our yields up during the summer. We started our culture with Reef Nutrition.

5. coyle

coyle Bristle Worm

I'm getting the tet from a guy off ebay, seems pretty scientific in his methods. Checked out the disks from fl aqua farms; if I'm reading it right they equal around 16oz culture each, is this correct? The guy I'm getting the tet from is sending it in three 16oz containers, he also has nanno, do you think I should get maybe one nanno or will it just contaminate my tet. Is there a better pod than tiggers to grow? Will any eat nanno? Tomorrow I am going to bleach and dechlorinate my 2 liter bottles then I guess I can try growing the mixed culture I have here (nanno, chlorella? and something else, think I got it from reed mariculture but not sure right now.) How much light should I use and what temperature should I keep them? This is going to be fun, especially if it works.

6. Renee@LionfishLair

I love Tisbe pods. There are a few places that carry them. You can't mix the phyto and culture it, but you can mix them in your copepod culture. Copepods can't eat it, but it helps keep your culture stable by increasing water quality.

I use those those cheap strip lights. The light added enough heat.

7. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

+1 to Incognito.

I will start only 1 kind first, I heard some peoples here were saying, that it may get contaminated if you even share the same air pump or manifold. Please keep this thread running and post updates how its working out. Ill chime in with my updates once it will be running.

Ebay link or name of the seller?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. coyle

coyle Bristle Worm

This guy on ebay does a buy 2 get 1 free so for $20 you get three 16oz bottles; in his listing it states tet and nanno together but if you ask him he will do either or both separately, his seller id is opsmear I'm going to buy some from him but right now I'm playing around with the mixed culture I already have just because I've got it. I have it bubbling away on day 3 should I see some growth yet, maybe it's dead from sitting in the fridge so long. I'll post a pic when I've got my camera.
    Here in FL we supposedly have tisbe pods; whereabouts should I go looking for them: grassflats, under rocks etc? Also I put 1ml of phytogrow in ea 2 liter, is that enough for the entire growing cycle? Thanks

10. Renee@LionfishLair

Just a side note: Be careful of fertilizers with cultures that will end up in your main tank. Unless you drain off the culture water, you're going to be pouring that fertilizer in your tank. Nuisance algae loves it! We use 1/4 of the "recommended" F/2 dose in phyto cultures that are destined for ones display tank.

11. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

Last night I used 1 disk to set up 4x0,5L bottles of tetraselmis. I used F/2 to fertilize it. It says that 1ml will last thru cycle 5-7 days, but I will split it after 3-4 days to set up 4x1Gal.

I'm pretty sure you will notice a difference on day 3 in color, if no may be it was dead way before you bought it. You never know how many weeks they keep their phyto in fridge before it's sold :( that's why I went for disk from aquafarm due to positive feedbacks.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

2000 - 4000 per bottle. There is a bottled on date on the bottle itself. Most Bay Area stores in your part of the Bay seem to order rather often. Don;t forget you really can't see the copepidites.