I want to grow phytoplankton in my old tank

Discussion in 'Algae' started by coyle, Oct 31, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

No, they can't consume nanno, the out layer of the phyto is too tough. When you watch them under a scope you can see them poop out the live cell intact.

If you are just dosing the whole tank, nanno is fine, it feeds many other things such as Rotifers. But your copepod culture will not enjoy it the same.

2. Click Here!

3. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

Any suggestions on phytoplankton sp. for tiger pods/copepods? I assume Iso or Tet will be better choice than nano?

4. Renee@LionfishLair

Iso is rockin' for pods. Crashes easier though. Of the ones I've dealt with, Nanno was the hardiest, then tet, then Iso.

If you ever get the itch to try a challenging phyto, try rhodomonas. It's drop dead gorgeous, but you look at it wrong at it crashes, the shelf life sucks and it takes a few running starts to get it going. But it is beautiful to look at and has a high nutrient profile.... not to mention the sense of accomplishment and the trade-ability factor. Everyone will want what you got ;)

5. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

Huh, I'll try get some skills with Iso first, if I'll get lucky with it I'll extend my lab and my be sell some extra on eBay for dirt cheap to use that pennies to buy stuff I need for my tank :)

6. coyle

coyle Bristle Worm

Wow, good to know; I guess I need to buy some tetraselmis or isochrysis. Any suggestions where to buy some? And do they need special temperature, lighting? I was planning on putting it in a 1/2 gallon bucket with a 23w cfl (6500k) attached by a clamp light; air pump with rigid tubing. Or was thinking I could put some one liter plastic bottles right in that center chamber of my fuge where just the bottom would get wet and they could stay warmer and just use the fuge lighting. How strong should the light be? Thanks for all the help, I plan on raising the tigger pods too and you've saved me a bunch of wasted time.

7. coyle

coyle Bristle Worm

Ok, I've got 1.5 L tet coming, so will this be good for tigger pods and how should I grow it: lighting, temperture etc? I've got phyto grow fertilizer and am thinking of one of 3 containers: 1/2 gallon bucket open with clamp light and air line; 2 L soda bottles with holes drilled in top and put in the fuge so they stay warm, or keep the 2L bottles outside and room temperature. I think the cfl might warm the 1/2 gallon enough but am worried it will get contaminated with the open top, also some concerns with it in the fuge even though the water won't come near the top. Thanks

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

Outside. 2L bottles. Cheap light stripe you can buy at Walmart for 10 bucks.

Don't ever put a phyto culture in your tank, you'll contaminant it in a hot second.

Keep the culture equipment as clean as possible.

I've had much better success at keeping Tigriopus califoricus at colder temps. They aren't my first choice in pods.

I wouldn't dose the culture full strength of what is said on the instructions. Especially if you don't plan on settling the culture at some point and removing the fertilized water.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  10. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

Just set up few smaller containers first in case of a crush. Lets say if you getting 1.5 L - you may probably set up 4x2L soda bottles. 2 with aeration with air pump and 2 without just to see what's going to be working out better. Where did you get your culture? I'm getting disks and f/2 from Fl aqua farms.
    The reason I'm going for Tigers is because they are quite big, it will be easier for me to catch them with a net to transfer to my 29G for Mandarin.

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

My (our) experience is exactly opposite. Our greatest yields are when the water in warmer, IE. middle of summer, around 80f. We're hands down the largest grower of them to boot.

12. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

:cheesy: Do you guys sell 'em by any chance?