I want to change my light!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Piano10, Nov 23, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

How wide/long is it?

2. Click Here!

3. cody3819

Ai claims it cover a 30×30.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

One AI prime will be plenty for a 15 gallon

Lovemyreef2015 and cody3819 like this.
  5. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

For what you are running i'd suggest one of those full spectrum 165W chinese LED boxes. will run you $80/$100 USD.

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I think that would be over kill plus they can't compare with a quality fixture like the prime. They both grow corals but quality is important too.

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  7. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

they're dimmable and quite reasonably priced. they work great on my 30 gal refugium.

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Ofcourse they'll both "work" but quality, for me, is more important. Quality drivers, optics and leds are what makes a great light. AI has great customer service from what I've read and im sure the prime will last longer just from build quality. I've learned with having a reef tank cheaper isn't always better and a light is something I'd refuse to skimp on.

Lovemyreef2015 and cody3819 like this.
  10. cody3819

I out my prime on my tank about a week ago, I must say I'm in love! DSC is right, trust me I went through the same thing. I wanted to go cheaper, didn't know if I wanted T-5, MH or LED's. I really thought about the Chinese fixtures very hard. But coming frome someone who now owns the prime I'm so happy I waited and got what I truly wanted. For starters it's truly full spectrum, high out put and 100% customizable. You can control it from wither you phone/tablet or computer /notebook. It will acclimate itself, and you set what percent it starts at and what percent you will have it end/run at. You can not only control your spectrum but you c I ukd also control the spectrum and at what wattage it will run and it also has weather. So yes, you may save a few dollars but in the end what is the better buy?

DSC reef likes this.
  11. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

hmmm. 80$ vs 300-400$??? for a refugium, i think you guys are overselling your fixtures.

12. cody3819

Well I was talking about for a display. If I'm not mistaken that was the original post, I must have missed something along the way....lol, yes for a sump that is a lot.

DSC reef likes this.