I want my tank back

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Yellow Tang, Nov 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Yellow Tang

Yellow Tang Bubble Tip Anemone

My tank was doing very well before the beginning of the summer then for the first time in along time I got algae on the glass in the sand(I would come back in full force in 2 days). Things started to die off, I don't have any more shrimp, I had two corals, and my anemones (2) are shrunk down so small i can barely find them. My macro stopped growing, how do I get it to start growing again, I think thats my problem. I need to get my tank back in shape.
    Thanks, Griffin

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Can you please post your parameters, a picture of your tank and your lighting system.

If you still have the tangs they require a lot of food and that may have contributed to excess nutrients and resulting algae issues. Old bulbs will also cause issues with algae growth. As well as a less than ideal water source.

If you have not changed out your bulbs in at least nine months and are not feeding your anemones and maintainning excellent water conditions the anemones are going fail to thrive and shrink in attempt to stay alive.

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I I recall, the "export" in "exporting nutrients" wiht the use of macro algae(specifically chaeto) cannot take place unless it is trimmed.

+1 on getting those water parameters. Old bulbs will also promote algae growth.

5. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Tang Police, whaaaaaaaaaaa, Tang Police! Yellow Tang & Blue Hippo in a 55g, that's a felony, haha :)!

But seriously, we can't help unless we know what all your params are as others mentioned. I bet your NA levels are high with two Tangs, they eat like pigs and make lots of waste. Or a nutrient is out of whack. Trade those boys in and get something that can comfortably grow to adulthood in a 55g is my best advice to start with.

- Do you use RO/DI water?
    - Do you run any PO4 remover media?
    - What lighting do you have for your anemones?

6. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

WEEEEEEOOOOOOO,did somebody call the tang police?

Agreeing with the everyone,with inverts dying off,nems closing,sounds like it possibly could be dinos.Pics,params,lights?

Attached Files:

7. Yellow Tang

I'm on it
    Here's a pic it's clean bc I cleaned the tank thanks for fast replies I want to get this thing back into shape[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. Yellow Tang

Lol!

10. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Nice tank, is that euro-braced? Give us your water params:

NA
    PO4

Most important those two above. Also how often do you feed, what do you feed?

11. Yellow Tang

Euro?
    I feed monday and friday mysis shrimp, 1 cube. I put some seaweed on a clip if I feel they need some.

12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Eurobrace is referring the bracing you have in the top of your tank. Most acrylic tank have this as they don't have the frame that glass tanks have.