I want corals, Help!!

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Joe_Mama, Jul 24, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Joe_Mama

Joe_Mama Plankton

I want to add corals when my water cycling is done. What else do I need to purchase other than the coral itself. What type of food, ect

P.S. all of your replies will be greatly appreciated

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Need the dope on your set-up; tank size, substrate, LR, filtration/skimming, and livestock/bioload. Need the current temp, SG, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and PH. What lighting do you have?

Can't answer your question 'till we have more information, thanks!

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

A lot of corals just need liquid supplements or even just light. Some will take food directly. Depends on what you get. What kind of lighting do you have?

5. Joe_Mama

Joe_Mama Plankton

I have a 60g tank, 48" wide w/ 2in of crushed coral, 17lbs of live rock, bak pak 2, fluval 304, and a 300gph powerhead and a JBJ formosa 260w lighting w/tru 03 blue actinics . My tank is still cycling.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Nice light. ANy ideas on what corals you want?

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Seems a little light on the LR for a reef. You will want 60 to 90 lbs of LR and a deeper sand bed to provide the biologiocal filtration for a healthy reef tank. Your corals will love you for it.

As Matt asked, what corals do you like?

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Once again I agree with Craig. I would bump up your LR now is a good time because it will cycle your tank again. You will need somewhere for the corals to attach and LR is were it going to happen. Also LR is the filtration method currently in favor for reef tanks. Some would also say 3-4" sand bed is what you will need to get a propper denitrification in a reef aquarium. your at a stage that these addition can happen with no ill effect to your live stock so I would implement them now.

Good luck
    Jason

10. Joe_Mama

Joe_Mama Plankton

Yeah I know I need more LR. I will get more in the near future, if my wallet permits it. I was looking to get some Moonstones, Cat's eye and some green torch corals.

Thanks for the info!