I suck at aquascaping-camera lessons yay! new scape #26

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by oldfishkeeper, Jun 21, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

If you don't mind oldfishkeeper! I seen some really awesome looking aquascapes, but highly doubtful that some of the stuff I seen you will find on a real reef. Reefs are piles of rock and many years of dead stony Coral. No body spent time arranging them. You will find caves and overhangs on a natural reef, bot no balancing acts of rocks glued together. Let's the pieces fall where they may. Something like that ;)

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I appreciate your input very much reefnJeff! Very good point made!

4. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

I actually like the picture you posted. I know the "negative space" type aquascapes can look amazing, I love them too, but they do take quite a bit of patience. I actually think in terms of rock-scaping they are a lot easier to aquascape than tanks with a lot of rock, like yours.

I'm not very good at it either. I just keep rearranging things until I like it... sometimes it can take quite awhile. I think my aquascape of my 24" cube took me 2 or 3 hours! Be patient and just keep trying new combinations. I think you'll end up happy with the result. Taking the rock out of the tank to assemble can help.

Also, in terms of health of the tanks inhabitants, I think your aquascape is equally effective as the negative space ones... possibly better since it gives fish and inverts places to hide.

1 person likes this.
  5. dsmerf214

dsmerf214 Fire Shrimp

I remember seeing your scape months ago and commenting about how much I liked it then! If you don't like it, then change it, but I think it looks great already.

Maybe give the new one some time to grow on you? I just set up my new tank about a month ago. At first I wasn't real sure of the scape. I was just kind of frustrated about not being able to build what I had in my head, so I left it as it was, and now I love it.

For whoever posted about the red lines, thats your comp telling you there are typos.

6. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

i didnt read through all the post, but for a corner tank, i think single island or lagoon look the best. I like to have large porous rocks when I aquascape, so I can use the least amount of rock to take up the most space, but still have plenty of gaps and caves and archways for fish to swim through.

7. oldfishkeeper

ok, this is my new scape - actually it doesn't look much different lol - obviously need to get used to the camera :)

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That is a good scape, plenty of hiding spaces and plenty of room to hide. Corals make any rock work look better.;)

1 person likes this.
  10. oldfishkeeper

wow 2 in 10 (blush) thank you. That means a lot.

11. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

That's a good looking scape OFK. I like how it comes around the sides and has a horseshoe like shape. Really nice! Plenty of spots to put corals. Again it looks great!

1 person likes this.
  12. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

The scape in the last pic looks good. Especially in a corner tank.

I think the only way you'd get a completely different looks is by changing the type of rock you are using.

1 person likes this.