I Need Your Gals/guys Help!!

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by lunatik_69, Jan 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

leather corals will easily cause a coral war, but you dont have any, so thats out. clams have a high light requirment and torch a medium, if you just changed the bulbs in july you should be good till atleast may. it seems as if both are in a state of shock, patients. clams need Ca,Sr, and I. torch corals also need trace elements. both also will filter feed off of plankton, which is much needed. the back to back water changes may have put some items in an upward or downward swing to fast for the torch or clam to react with, temp and salinity are the two biggies. there are other elements that you didnt test for Sr,Si,B, and I. the main elements that are my concern are Sr and I ( iodines ), can you check them? if your running carbon the PO4 and Si should be under control.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Raven---yes, the temp was room temp before it was added.

Reef guru---I do have carbon at the time. I do put reef-solution which has all trace elements icluding iodine, strontium, mag and multiple vitamins. As for the strontium test, I've been looking for one lately, but no one has any.

4. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

if you didnt add Sr, then you dont have to much, so thats out. unless you overdosed with reef solutions, thats out.

going off of what youve mentioned so far the two back to back water changes could have suddenly changes parameters for those to corals, and there in shock now. if so, let them be.

i have the same type of corals in my tank, and have never had a biowar between them.

as far as water changes, cant remember the last time i did one. with regards to water changes the pH and O2 level are also different from the main tank, which may have also played a part in this.

just be patient, time heals all wounds.

2 people like this.
  5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm with RG on this one. Too many water changes can cause a bad reaction when it comes to inverts. Keep an eye on the critters that are not doing well and continue to run a good quality carbon. We've only done one water change on this 180 and I have to say that it did more harm than good.

1 person likes this.
  6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Just to clear up one thing, the "back to back" water changes where not done on the same day. One was done on Tues. and the other was done on Weds. But anyways, Ill wait to see what happens, hopefully they will recover. Thanks so much for the help!!!! Luna

7. kimmy

kimmy Feather Duster

It seems like I have had the least amount of problems, actually none that come to mind, when I stopped changing my water so frequently. I used to be religious about every 2 weeks, now, 1 every 5 weeks w/ better growth and no deaths. Do you have any fish that might be dipping at the clam thinking it is nipping at something else? My tang nips at the side of my clams and they don't care for that much. Same for the torch, my clowns sometimes want to host it, closes right up and stays that way until the coast is clear.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Reefdiver72

Reefdiver72 Feather Duster

I also had a problem like yours I kind of got relaxed on water changes and put to redsea ocean clear filters in line to the tanks with carbon I change them out about every 2 weeks now but my auto topoff is putting about 8 gallons a day in and my skimmers are skimming like crazy 5 gallon bucket a week or a little less. and I have had no problems since I quit changing water.

1 person likes this.
  10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Yeah, you know something, I think it was that. My water changes are normally done once a week and sometimes every two weeks. The reason I did the back to back was to lower my no3. But now That Im standing back and analizing everything, I should just let it be(no3). I've had the same no3 for the longest and never had a problem with my livestock. These are the repercussions when one tries to recreate perfection. Like they say, " if it aint broken, dont fix it ". Lesson learned. Once again, thanks everyone for helping, Luna.

11. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

your NO3 isnt really that bad. but its not zero. so, with that, tell me how your system is set up and maybe we can get them down? without constantly changing the water, sorry had to throw that in, couldnt resist, long day.