I need sump ideas (can't use a tank)

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Kevin_E, Jul 10, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

What about when the power goes out? Or your GFCI trips, or your optical sensor gets dirty? Haven't you read the reviews of that? And their exspensive, high tech ATO CAUSING a wet floor, overflow, etc.?
    And no, I'm not making this up.
    ADR- this is one of the only times when I personally disagree with the last statement of your post.
    Inherently, there are way more variables to fail then that of a simple, well built float valve- way more. A well built flat valve has so much bouyancy, and all quality non corrosive plastic parts, etc., that when the water level goes up, it has no choice but to shut the valve.
    Now a crappy valve may be another story. I read some reviews about sub par float valves built so cheap, that that the plastic arm to the float broke when the water level went up!

FWIW, when my RO/DI WAS hooked straight to my float valve, over a year, no problems- probalby because I use a quality, well built, non corrosive flat valve- ebay about $10- gotta get the right one.

Now my ATO is on a seperate resevoir, filled by a ball valve, to a float valve in the container. Thats another thread.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Not true. Remember RO/DI is extremely agressive and rubber valve seats on float valves are susceptible. How many evaporative cooler, pool self levelling or toilet tank floats have you seen fail? I can count dozens or more in my own home over the years and they are the same exact floats. They are not reliable and to top it off many ASOV's do not work reliably without a bladder tank or air tank in line to give them a positive shutoff.

Really a bad idea to hook a RO/DI directly to a sump.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Pretty simple, if I had shown better angles ;) Return goes out of sump, elbows, tee for the line that faces out the door (for water changes), second tee for the line that dumps back down to the sump (has come in handy a couple of times, have since used a longer piece of PVC to get it submerged), then elbow up and into tank.

But it's all moot since it will all be taken down in a couple weeks. The new 125 is already plumbed and running :)

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Well my sump design will not work. It was priced out at $312. I am not paying anywhere close to that sum of money on a sump. I would be hard pressed to even pay half of that money for a sump.

I am not sure where to go from here.

6. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Did you find a sump yet? A sheet of 3/8" acrylic at HD runs about 130 bucks, or perhaps getting glass cut to your specific needs can work as well. you would just need 3 long pieces and two side pieces. Then glue them together with silicone. You will have baffles in it so it will not need top supports. can be like a rimless.

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I used a 10gal on my 55g for a sump and then a 7.5g rubbermaid for the fuge. I use the same fuge for my 125g dude to size constraints.

8. Click Here!

9. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

I had a similar issue with my old 50 gallon - the stand had a center column but I needed as much sump space as possible. I solved the problem with a couple of custom acrylic sumps and some creative plumbing.

This design would have just as easily worked with off-the shelf tubs

Attached Files:

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

wow was the left side a fuge? Upflow ATS?

11. OnlyTono

OnlyTono Spaghetti Worm

yep - left side was a 10+ gallon fuge, the right side was the skimmer sump. Both where fed water from the overflow in equal amounts, while the fuge drained into the back of the skimmer sump, and then the skimmer sump fed the return pump.

it worked really well for the 2 years I had it running - in fact I used those two sumps in my new system, and combined with with a third sump under my new 125

this is what it looked like with all the doors closed

Attached Files:

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Very nice.

What I decided to do was take out the front center brace and cut down my current acylic sump 7". It will fit and fit well.