I need some help please-chemiclean questions

Discussion in 'Algae' started by grinder37, May 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Laurainhouston

Laurainhouston Plankton

Let us know the outcome

Tell us what you ended up doing and the outcome. Ty

2. Click Here!

3. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Thanks for asking,but before I start i'd like to say that I do not advocate the use of this product.What I am dealing with is not your common "red slime" cyanobacteria,so my reasons for using vary greatly from those using just for a quick cyano fix.

Now after saying that,I did go ahead and prep my tank yesterday and got my first wc water made up and ready and made extra ro/di to do back to back wc's if things should start to go south.I added the wooden airstones which is a huge noticable difference in how fine the bubbles are compaired to the bubblewand I used before.Then I went ahead and treated last night before lights out.

And so far so good,my lights are still off,but I just checked in a little bit ago with my flashlight,and my fish appear a little freaked out by all the bubbles but otherwise seem fine and my glass is covered in snails and hermits are still running around everywhere,i'm taking that as a good sign this time since my fish and inverts was the first things affected last time.Corals are looking good as well with a couple leathers looking pretty pissed off,but I expected that.And lastly,there is a noticable retreat of this "devil cyano",it is not gone yet,but deffinately retreating.So i'm gonna follow through and continue the recommended time of treatment.

The depletion of O2 was my largest concern and it seems i've got it handled this time around,so far,lol.I'm probably overreacting,but after a close to total crash last time,I can't help from being a little overly cautious this time.

4. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

update

Success! No losses,everybody is accounted for,lol.After testing the wooden airstones and alot more reading,I lost my fear of O2 depletion and decided to leave the livestock be.My corals are still a little po'd still but not bad at all,mostly just the leathers but they'll be fine.

20% WC is done,skimmer and filtration with fresh carbon/gfo is back on line.Dosed some prime to be safe.

The crud is dead and the snails are going crazy on any dead remains.The trouble making rock (I believe) has been removed,so i'm still gonna have to re-situate a few things yet to get my scape back where I somewhat like it,cause I don't like it now,but I want things to settle a bit before I go messin with it anymore.

Thanks for everyones input,it was a risk I didn't want to take,but all is good now.Now I know o2 depletion was the problem last time and this crud is definately wiped out by the chemiclean.

What it is?I have no clue.lol!But it's gone now,hopefully to never return.:)

After wc
    0 am
    0 trites
    0/5 trates
    8.2 ph
    9 dkh
    440 cal
    1340 mag
    0 phos
    80.2 deg
    1.025 sg
    If there was a spike,it was a small one and the prime got it,woot!

1 person likes this.
  5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

That's wonderful news! Glad to hear. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Congratulations!! Glad everything worked out for you!

1 person likes this.