Resolved i need major help( see last page!) solved it!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by bobssecrtsn, Aug 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

The print is very small on the graph so it's tough to read. If I am seeing it correctly, it looks like it's dipping to 7.7 and up to just a smidge under 8.45. Again, it's hard to see clearly.

Truthfully, from everything I know in addition to everything I've read, it must be too much co2.

2. Click Here!

3. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

i calibrated the probe 3 times with all new fluids. 7 pH and 10 pH
    rodi system is the same. replaced all the filters when i moved..
    i never ran a sand bed
    i never actually did water changes for 3 months until the move. which i change salt to tropic marin pro. i was using RSCP.

update. so when i got home which was 6:45 pm? the pH was at 8.34. its now 10:00 pm and its at 8.31. only thing i changed was removing the AC and opened up the window.

4. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

LOL we posted at the same time. If I'm not mistaken he mentioned ammonia somewhere in the other thread which is why I asked about it up above. However, I would think it depends on how much is present insofar as how the pH is effected.

5. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

to the naked eye. all my snails are good, all my fishes are normal. not breathing heavily. if there were to be ammonia wouldnt snails be the first to go?

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Yep

I am not convinced the coral issue is directly attributable to PH

I think the coral issues are related more to other parameter problems

the change of brand in terms of salt mix , may also be a factor
    depending on how fast the new brand was introduced at time of the move
    if a large % of the water from the old set up was discarded and replaced with the same % of new water of a different brand - aside from the big 3 which we can and do check, there are a massive range of other major, minor and trace elements which may have changed significantly enough to cause adjustment issues for the corals
    Simon Garret goes into specifics on that in his article related to Cyno below

Cyano bacteria within a reef tank by Simon Garratt | The Aquarium Solution (US)

Steve

7. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Yes, I believe you said you hadn't done a water change for several months so this makes sense. You moved the tank, changed a lot of old water, and changed salt. This would affect the corals.

It doesn't explain the pH problem but it may explain your animals' stress.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Wow good read I now have a headache.LOL Great link Steve.;D

10. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

so should i go back into using rscp? i will let you guys know how my pH turns out tmrow its staying at 8:35 for 4 hours now. and in the graph it was graduating lowering down

11. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I would not make any more drastic changes Bob

there is nothing wrong with your chosen salt brand, it is often simply a case of allowing the inhabitants to adjust to the new enviroment

how much in terms of percentage did you change during the move and swap to Tropic Marin product?

and are you testing ammonia, nitrites etc ?

corals that have faded - will color up again
    and when this happens PE will also improve as the coral needs to collect food due to having less symbiotic algae to produce food for it

Steve

12. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

before i moved i sucked out about as much water as i could. i lost about 5 gallons. so i changed out 5 gallons. then waited 3 days. did a 5g water change.

i am not testing ammonia. etc. i dont have the test kit for it sadly.