I need help with new tank, ? about rock, please?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by sjcs24, Feb 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sjcs24

sjcs24 Astrea Snail

:)I would like to start by saying how helpful this website is and I wish like anything I could go back in time and find it weeks ago, so thanks to everyone on here for really great advice. I have done research and read tons on here since finding it this morning.
    Okay, on to the questions: I started a 55g tank about 2 weeks ago. I have all of the equipment needed (after checking on here today, whew) and I have live sand in the tank. No rock, no decorations, nada. About 3 days ago a very irresponsible, didn't know that at the time, pet shop owner told me to buy a few damsels to add to the tank, so I bought 2 little tiny ones. Now, I want to add lots of base rock and maybe some live rock (not too much) to the tank. Is this going to hurt the 2 fish that I have?
    Also, is there anything else that I can or need to add to the tank now? The water is testing great. I would like to eventually have a reef tank on down the line.
    Thanks in advance for all advice, and sorry so long!

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Well, your going to have to cycle the rock. The damsel's are in there for the cycle, so they will serve there purpose anyways.
    If you're going to mix live and base with the rocks, get all the live first, as you'll go through a cycle everytime you add live rock (not something you want to happen once everything is up and going).

4. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

damsals are a pretty hardy fish, but you will end up having a cycle of some sort. just watch your paramiters and if they get really really out of wack then damsals might not make it but if it anything like a normal cycle then they should be fine. like pack said just don't do this when you have better livestock in your tank.

5. sjcs24

sjcs24 Astrea Snail

Another question...

Thanks so much everyone. I have another question, how often should I do water changes, if all of the chemicals are okay? I know I will have to add water to the tank that will condense out, but do you still change it out, like 20% or so? I have searched and can't find much about it. Sorry to be so new to this with the questions. Thanks!

6. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

if all you have are some damsals then you shouldn't have to change very much it just will depend on how much bioload you have. the more producing waste the more you will want to change. You want to keep up with the consumption of items in water colum also. Sometime I go a few months before I change water. Although I add a ton of water from evaporation.

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I have a 55 too. If you just have a few fish, then maybe 1 every couple of weeks would be fine, about 10% would be ok. If you start getting corals, then you will need to do it about 1 once a week. Now, this depends on how much you dose, if anything. Such as Ca, Mg and Alk.

8. Click Here!

9. NRF_85

NRF_85 Astrea Snail

I'm sorry to say but I don't think your damsels will make it. There will be a ammonia spike, then a nitrite spike and well...who knows...I would buy some cycle formula- it cycles your tank faster by adding beneficial bacteria to your tank.

10. sjcs24

sjcs24 Astrea Snail

So, do you think I should just do base rock instead of taking chances with the live rock then?

11. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

live rock is the way to go but I mix with base rock to offset the cost of everything.