I need help please!! DINO?? not DINO? how to fix it!??

Discussion in 'Algae' started by GSUBiology, Nov 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GSUBiology

GSUBiology Feather Duster

In addition, I was wondering if maybe it's the membrane that doesn't do the job correctly?

I have been noticing that the RO ( who is rated for 50Gallons per day). it kinda filters the water pretty fast.. maybe it's not working properly?
    im running out of the ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

What pH or alk is your tank running at?

4. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

It could have come with the rock, stuff dies, even a little feeding adds a lot of phosphate if its not getting processed properly. Once the tank is healthy and stable (probably 6 months or so from now), organisms start processing the nutrients properly and the same level of input will seem just fine. Right now, your tank is still growing.

My guess is something along the hair algae line, but I can't come close to sure. On the other hand, I'd treat it like it is. Water changes, removal, GFO, etc. most things are fixed with this and we'll find out if its one of the few that aren't.

I was about to place a big order for Dr. Tim's products because I use them religiously and it occurred to me. Has anyone taken this problem to his sponsor forum? I have a feeling something in his range will help, and his products really work well for me.

5. GSUBiology

The pH is at 8.4

1 person likes this.
  6. GSUBiology

I started with only base rock, so nothing has died in there yet. At least not something to make it significant.
    I suppose ill treat it like algae and dino and hope it solves the problem.

7. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Base rock is frequently much worse than live rock when it comes to phosphates.

8. Click Here!

9. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

OK, after watching the video and seeing what it looks like, I believe if you adjust the lighting back and siphon all you can get, you can get a handle on it. I now believe that whatever is causing it is coming from the rock and extreme amount of time the lighting is on. whatever is fueling the algae will eventually burn out and the problem should go away. It may help to change the water can but, I don't believe that is the problem. As M2434 explained it may be a bacteria also, but I still believe that the rock is the problem.

Turn back the lighting hours, siphon as much as you can get out with water changes, and see if these things help. We all have experienced problems and they are very frustrating.