I need help, Im calling on the experts.. please?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by GSUBiology, May 10, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Not testing alk is the main problem. I'm surprised you have been getting away with it for so long. Yes, GFO can reduce your alk, so that also is not in your favor. Over use of GFO can also result in tissue loss. Personally, I would not raise it without first having it tested. If it is indeed low, don't try to raise it more than a point a day throughout the course of a day, not all at one time.

How often are you changing the GFO, and how much? I would take it offline until you get the problems addressed.

You need RODI water. Just because you got away with it it the past, doesn't mean it's OK.

Your corals are in a weakened state, so you will have to deal with pests and infection after your parameters are back in line.

2. Click Here!

3. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

The GFO is fine. It only sucks up all when a fresh batch is first introduced. After about a week it's fine. Overuse of GFO is not the problem. It is merely the alk drop that is the problem.

As for rectifying the situation. I would just do aggressive water changes until you are able to test. Like barbianj, I will also stress that not using at least RO water will not work and will result in long term problems. Keeping SPS is like being in the NFL. Those Pop Warner trick plays no longer work at this level. It's time to step up your game.

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

^^^ & and I appreciate your tip on the Lamotte alk test kit, Greg. It's all about learning and improving. :)

5. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

No prob. You will really like it. I get mine from Marine Depot. I have a Hanna Checker and I still use the LaMotte at nearly a 10:1 ratio over the Hanna. Sharing knowledge and experiences is what it's all about!

6. Aquarimate

Aquarimate 3reef Sponsor

+1 on Brown Jelly. It is arguably known as a bacterial infection. Read this article:

Corals - Bacterial

Corals could get damaged during the transfer to the tank (you said you just got the corals, right?) and that could start the infection. knowing how contagions this infection is, it could harm other corals as well.

7. Aquarimate

Aquarimate 3reef Sponsor

Referring to the same article Silicates higher than 0.5 ppm will cause diatoms to grow. Some of these may attach to coral skeletons and cause damage, as explained earlier in that article (the real dangerous ones are the encrusting types of diatoms).

8. Click Here!

9. GSUBiology

GSUBiology Feather Duster

I only use RO water...

I came back from my break and it seems my big favia, the bubble coral and a little bit of that one SPS died. The rest seem to be doing pretty well actually. I will check again tomorrow and see how things are going.

10. MichaelKelley

MichaelKelley Banned

Hi,
    I am not here to suggest you, but to ask you about the solution as I do not know whether you found the cause that was causing this to happen. One of my friends is facing the same problem with his coral, so if you can explain, then that would be better.