I need beginner algae info

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Decembermouse, Jun 2, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Decembermouse

Decembermouse Astrea Snail

I just joined 3reef. I'm in charge of 2 saltwater aquaria here at Hope College in Holland, MI. I'm a student animal care worker, full time this summer. I plan to build a refugium with three consecutive sections which will all have different organisms that will filter the water and rid it of nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, and are there some other compounds I should worry about too?

So I would really appreciate some advice. I have a 65 and a 30 gallon tank, both of which will feed into the same refugium. Don't worry, I've drawn it up and it will work. But I need to know what kinds of algae are most hardy, and are the best at removing harmful compounds.

Are there organisms besides algae that can help do this too?

Also, one of the sections of the refugium I would like to put shrimp, algae, and maybe snails in. Is there a good shrimp/algae combination? I hear that some shrimp like to eat a certain algae and will hang out and breed on/around it, too. But I would like the algae not to just be depleted... it's gotta grow too.

If I can pull it off, with YOUR help, I would love to see this project come to fruition. Advice please!

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I would go with Chaetomorph as it is better for your tank. Caulerpa is ok though most organism if the eat too much will die due to its toxicity. You also have to use reverse lighting or 24/7 lighting in your refugium so that the caulerpa doesn't go sexual and foul your tank by depleting your tank of oxygen.
    Halimeda is another nice plant that requires calcium and moderate lighting but makes a wonderful addition to your tank. Sea grasses/mangrove pods and shaving brushes are other good additions to your tanks.

4. Decembermouse

Decembermouse Astrea Snail

What is reverse lighting? I hear there are high-power bulbs that are better for algae growth.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will look those up and see what looks good.

Do you know if there is a good shrimp/algae combo? As in, shrimp eats algae but doesn't depete it, and shrimp hopefully even reproduce?

5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Algae will thrive better with anything below 10000 Kelvin range. Dont do blue, but whitish yellow light. Not too in the yellow range as it will promote pest algal growth. You can even do 5500 Kelvin for growth in the fuge. Be sure to have great water movement in the fuge to rid of hair algae taking over the macro algae (growing on them).

Hey coral_reefer, there are actually some inverts out there that eat caleurpa. It's toxicity I think only affects fish species. There is a little green snail that hangs around caleurpa bushes and feasts on it. I forgot it's name, but it's completely green.