i need an estimate!(MH upgrade)

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Va Reef, May 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

finally been saving up some money, about 150$ (thats alot for me for no job, so dont laugh :p) and ive been wanting to do an upgrade from PC's to MH. its a biocube 8 gal. any ideas on what im looking at for a price, and which would be better, and how do i take the top off of the biocube. thanks!

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i think hqi fixtures range about 200-300 dollars i think you could probably only find a used fixture in your price range and definately not led they cost a pretty penny

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

oh its not even summer yet, i could get easily get about 500$, and thats without a job. any idea where i could get one? would it be easy to get my LFS to ship one into me? and could i get a clam and acros under that lighting?

5. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

it will grow anything in that tiny tank, i would look on craigslist or something there are great deals on that site.

6. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I don't have a tank that small, so maybe I'm missing something, but why not run a PAR38 LED bulb over it? You're looking at $100 plus a fixture to hold it.

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

ok how much wattage?

8. Click Here!

9. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I agree, this is probably the best choice if you want to go with LED's. The MH would probably put a lot of heat into that small of a tank and cost more in electricity to run. Check out Boostled or Rapid led

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

im changing my mind on the LED's the LFS said they dont stock them, because they have no warranties. as far as MH goes, does any of these look good?Reef Aquarium Metal Halide and HQI Lighting - Pendants: Aquatic Connection

11. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

You can buy the PAR bulbs directly from the website. I'm not sure about the warranty thing though. I have 4 and they work great. I've never heard anyone complain about them not working either.

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

i know but i'd rather just have my LFS get them in so they can show me everything to help. and i did some searches between MH and LED and i really like the looks of MH. which would be better? 10K, 14K, or 20K?