I NEED A New skimmer!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Puffer Chick, Dec 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dreiling

dreiling Fire Shrimp

you may have some problems with the unit but you will not know until you get a properly functioning pump and intake on that skimmer.

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yea i'm starting to think that it might really be the pump now. because everything else seems to be working ok now that i have it adjusted. I've been getting nice foaming, dark skimmate, not filling up like crazy. So it's just the blue intake tube that's not right, so i'm thinking that maybe if the intake pump isint working right, it would cause the blue intake tube to not work right because the tube is attached to the pump. I'm just glad i have it working some what decent, i worry about parameters and not having the skimmer on for a few days, so i'll check them out tomorrow, everything seems fine. I'll be happy if the pump is whats causing this thing to act up like it's been because it seems like an easy fix, and if thats all it is i will keep the skimmer, which would be better for me because i dont have the money to get a new one

4. LrgTime

LrgTime Astrea Snail

PC, get a remora, i have a 54 bowfront and have what sounds to be a similar situation as you (not having a sump option at all!). my remora gets the job done, but the only issue i have is the pre skimmer sucks a fat one. i agree with what someone said, it produces a little microbubbles but good luck finding a HOB skimmer that is better than the Remora!

I did a lot of research for my skimmer and this is by far the most bang for you buck when it comes to HOB, the pre skimmer requires a lot of adjusting and can become a problem also if you do not have a auto topoff system setup for the DT.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  5. 10001110101

10001110101 Fire Worm

look into getting a bubble magus.

they are supposedly really great, and they are dirt cheap, nice build quality from the looks of it... actually build quality is probably better than the remora.

they are big, real deal skimmers like a deltec (basically a deltec knockoff, think japanese auto industry)

i've heard great things and the HOB is prolly half the price of the aqua c.

6. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

What are you deminsions?

7. meagan1823

meagan1823 Purple Spiny Lobster

I have a Turboflotor Multi SL HOB.
    I have had no problem with it.
    It is fully adjustable and produces a very dark, smelly skimmate.
    While cleaning the pump, I broke a piece off the pump that attaches to the hose to bring the air in. I contacted Aqua Medic and they were very prompt with their response and gave me everything I needed to order a replacement part.
    I got a heck of a deal on ebay for this skimmer ($120 brand new) and am very happy with it.