I need a little hope- My mom is sick :(

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by swagger87, Feb 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

In early December my mother was diagnosed with ET (Essential Tremors). ET is a nerve disorder characterized by uncontrollable shaking, or "tremors," in different parts and on different sides of the body. Areas affected often include the hands, arms, head, larynx (voice box), tongue, and chin. Rarely, the lower body is affected.
    It's a debilitating disorder caused by abnormal brain function creating confusing signals to the body.
    She can barely hold a cup without dropping it. They had to replace their dishes with plastic ones. She has a lot of trouble talking as her jaw will begin to jerk and she stutters. :-[
    I have to get tested for it because there's a 50% chance I have it.

She was prescribed several medications to aid her with everyday simple tasks by trying to control her spasms. It made her extremely ill and she couldnt hold any foods or liquids down so they changed the meds.

I just found out that She is now scheduled for an MRI because its believed that the medications caused her to suffer from a stroke. Shes having more trouble speaking and moving the right side of her body. :cry:

I didnt post this for pity, just for hope and peace of mind. I do have a request tho:
    If any of you pray, would you please do so for her?
    If you meditate, could you think of her for me?
    If you dont do either, would you please just keep her in your mind and hope for the best?
    My mother is only 42 years old. She's too young for this kind of thing! :bigcry:
    I dont really have anyone to turn to, and I just needed to vent a little and get this off my chest.
    She's the only parent I really have. This is hard for me to grasp:-/

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I'm very sorry to hear this. I will of course pray for your mom.

1 person likes this.
  4. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Thank you so much Inwall. That means a lot to me.

5. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Oh no that's terrible.
    I can't imagine what you're going through.
    I can't ever imagine my mother falling ill. That would be heart wrenching.
    I don't really pray much but I'll make an exception for you. I know I will if my mother ever fell ill.
    I'll pray that you don't have the illness either.

1 person likes this.
  6. colodan

colodan Fire Shrimp

sorry to hear about your mom, I will keep her in my thoughts.

1 person likes this.
  7. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

Swagger
    very sorry to hear about your mom, having just lost my own mother back in early december I know how upsetting this can be. I'll keep her in my thoughts.

And feel free to come vent any time you need to.

bill

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. divott

divott Giant Squid

hi megan. im so sorry that this has inflicted your mom. such a young age for something like this. and sorry also for you, because youre living through it also. sucha heavy weight to have to carry. i really hope that everything works its way for the best. your mom and you are in my thoughts .

guy

1 person likes this.
  10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

You have my prayers and are in my thoughts!

Side effects from medications can be very difficult, and esp with neurological disorders it takes a bunch of fine tuning and adjustment.

I am assuming she has had the complete workup? Has she had MRI, EEG (brainwave tracing), seen a neurologist? (Cant stress enough the neurologist part)

If she is not in the hospital I would take her to the ER and demand that she gets admitted. Once she is admitted and has been completely worked up I would push for her to go to an acute rehab facility.

When did the symptoms begin? Is the diffuculty talking and moving right side of the body new?

Good luck to you and your family.

1 person likes this.
  11. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

I know where you're at swagger. I pulled up roots in my home in San Diego to come back home here to take care of my Dad & Mom. As children or "offspring" thats what we're supposed to do!! You'll never regret it. Just try and stay positive and do what you can for your Mother.....never dispair, just move forward. :-[

1 person likes this.
  12. lfckenya

lfckenya Spaghetti Worm

my family's thought and prayers are with you both.

1 person likes this.