I MAY HAVE KILLED MY CLAM!

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Matt Rogers, May 11, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JOER0178

JOER0178 Peppermint Shrimp

Re: F**** I MAY HAVE KILLED MY CLAM!

matt, just an idea if you put a piece of rock in the container he will probably attach to that and if he gets better you can put him back on the sand and cover the rock w/ alittle sand.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good idea Joe.. but I decided to leave him be.. checked throughout the night, nobody was eating him.. so maybe I don't need a container.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ok.. home for lunch .. computer on.. web cam going.. you can see he is a wounded duck, but he's got color and lips are extended in the light. Thinking he might recover. What do you think? (pic is a few posts up)

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

A bit hard to tell from the pic Matt, but if the clam seems to be recovering I think it would still be a good idea to give it some protection for a while. Even if you get a small, clear, plastic container, cut out the bottom, and place it over the clam ( like a fence )

In the first place, do you think the clam tried to jump?

John

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hmm.. I like that fence idea John.. Maybe that would keep those snails off him. You can some on him now. I think I'll try that. Thanks. :)

He was definitely hanging off the rock the last few mornings. Not sure what at night was bothering him. Seemed fine during the day.

(Thanks for the karma new2salt2 by the way!)

7. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Sorry to hear about the clam Matt hope he pulls through.
  8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks Nugio.  :)

Well I don't know what do ... he isn't much better, isn't worse either.

This will be a poll, but thinking of:

1) Doing a water change.. keep the clam.
    2) Do a water change, put old water in 5 gallon tank with PC light and clam until he recovers or dies.
    3) Doing water change and removing the clam and putting him out of his misery.

LESSONS LEARNED:

- Do not manhandle a clam, if it's foot is attached to something do not try to detach strands by hand, cut it with clean blade or scissors. I learned this hours too late.

- If you are trying to put a Crocea clam on a rock, make sure it has enough room to move around without falling. If it eventually becomes unhappy, cut it and move it to the sand.

- BUY AQUACULTURED. Then you don't feel as bad. I am glad it's not wild caught.

[smiley=worried.gif]

10. Barry_N.

Barry_N. Astrea Snail

Matt,

It would be great if you could place him in a small q-tank so that it would be stress free, giving him time to heal. As long as he is weak and in a tank with hermits and other livestock, he will be picked on. :(

We have saved a lot of not so good looking clams by placing them in a stress free envirement on PVC rings with nothing to bother them.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey Thanks Barry! :)

I am worried that a q-tank I would setup would not have as good of water quality. Is this valid?

I don't have any big worms in there, but I do have snails that get on him. In fact on the web cam pic on page 1 you can see some on him now. I have some small crabs, but so far, they are staying away.

Should I try to feed him? If so, what?

12. saxman

saxman Plankton

Matt,

use some of your tank water (100% for the QT if you can swing it, otherwise as much as possible). if you deviate from the tank water, you'll need to make sure the SG and temp are as close as possible to avoid stressing the clam. you might go a bit further and slowly acclimate the clam to the new water if you can't use all tank water.

as Barry suggested, get a PVC ring to sit the clam in, and try to give it as much light as you can (croceas are very light-hungry and really need MH's to thrive in the long term).

i'd definitely feed the clam some phytoplankton maybe every other day to help it gain strength. use DT's if you can get it (it's live phyto), if not get some Liquid Life BioPlankton or one of the off the shelf ones (just make sure it's in the 2 to 16 micron range in size).

i'll send ya some good clam thoughts...good luck!

Greg