I made it better: BioPellet BRS reactor mod!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by exactlyobp, Aug 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Thanks! It's 4 years old now, but going still strong!

2. Click Here!

3. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Thanks John! Its still better if you dont have to run BP like yours tho!

4. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Unless you manually connect the flow reverse. Ive noticed that the reactor holder is attached on to the lid with four plastic screws, and I flipped it. Just try and take a close look inside and out.

5. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Is it because how your reactor is placed? Mine is on the inside wall of the cabinet placed the same height as the sump. I dont think it has enough gravity/velocity to back siphon the pellets..
    But I should look into this before the problem even occurs. Thanks for pointing out!

6. lynnmw1208

lynnmw1208 Skunk Shrimp

I guess my question is more along the lines of will it work without me reversing the flow? I'd rather have the biopellets in the first chamber with the carbon in the 2nd. the way it is now.

7. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Yeah, it will work, but you have even a bigger tank, you might wanna be able to run more than a cup. That's what I think the regular reactor can hold (unless you wanna use a lot more powerful pump) to be honest. (BRS recommended pellet amount is 1 cup (236ml) for 50 gallon!)

From the BRS site pic of the dual reactor, Im pretty sure that you can reverse the flow of the first reactor only. If you take a look at it from the top, there should be 4 white plastic screws that are holding each reactor. All you have to do is unscrew them, swap the "IN" and "OUT" Murlok connectors, flip the lid and put them back together. No one will notice that it's reversed.

I really recommend some kind of mod that allow you to run more pellets and more efficiently at the same time if you have more than 50 gallon. I first put only one cup (236ml) without the mod and was running full flow (@294gph), and the next morning, no tumble, nothing. But after the mod, Im running a bit more than 400ml (like 420-ish, which I think it's good for 90g), with way less than 294gph flow by being dialed back.

8. Click Here!

9. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

wow. i knew you were crafty. but this is good stuff. i am going to give the GFO some more time.

If i go the bio-pellet route in terms of flow i may just t off my return since it is turn way down and causing micro bubbles and put a another valve on it. since i have a dual reactor now. But i am going to wait and see what happends with your tank. I guess we can compare GFO to bio-pellets.

10. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

The bacteria coming off the biopellets in the first chamber will end up clogging the second reactor. You are better off running biopellets in thier own dedicated reactor.

11. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Thanks JB!

Have you read steve wright's head to head carbon dose thread? It's kinda long but an amazing experience going on, that's why I could take the plunge with BP!

1 person likes this.
  12. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Wow I just noticed that I did this mod with $6? LOL