I made it better: BioPellet BRS reactor mod!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by exactlyobp, Aug 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. louy99

louy99 Feather Duster

I've been running the BRS Pellet Reactor for 3 months with the BRS brand pellets. Mine is unmodded and running just as well as it did day one.

I don't see ANY reason to mod the reactor. The reason some of you complain of clogging is probably due to not having a strong enough pump or it not being leveled. I do not intend to offend anyone but this mod is a waste of time and stress. I also hope some of you don't just dump a bunch of pellets and expect results. You have to start off with 1/4 recommended amount, wait 4-6 weeks and put another 1/4 more and so on....

I highly recommend not modding it and getting a bit stronger pump or plumbing it to run off the return pump like I did.

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Mike,

Where are all these Nitrates coming from?

4. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Well that was a little abrasive, wasnt it? lol It works for him, its producing results. Id say thats worth the mod. I also dont think anyone was talking about dumping pellets in. More flow through a BP reactor is not necessarily better.

5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Lol read a little before spouting off. This isn't the biopellet reactor, this is the stock GFO/carbon reactor. And for 30 minutes of work to get the proper tumbling..... I don't know why I'm entertaining this comment..........

6. louy99

louy99 Feather Duster

Sorry, didn't feel like reading through all the posts

7. Mhayes462

Mhayes462 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I put a mag seven on it and it still didn't work. So I don't think a bigger pump will solve the problem.

8. Click Here!

9. rinconmike

rinconmike Plankton

Messy eaters and I feed a lot - I guess. I have a 7" Porcupine Puffer, 30: Snowflake EEL, and 7" Red Breasted Wrasse in a 150 FOWLR. I have around 80 pounds of Pukani LR and then around 20 Liters of seachem matrix in the sump. My sump is a wet/dry filter box my LFS made for bioballs. I got rid of the bioballs a couple of years ago. I do have filter pads on the drip tray. Been using a 100 micron pad below a courser pad for around 6 months now and I change them weekly. I also have a Nuclear Canister Filter that is TEE off my main pump before my chiller. Since it is TEE off, not all the water goes through it. I change the canister filter monthly.

I suppose I can have stuff caught in the seachem matrix. I originally put so much in because I thought it would help with nitrates. I think for may water volume I only need around 2 liters.

I have been holding steady below 50 (between 25 and 50 with Salifert kit) with the mod reactor. However, cannot get below 25. I am thinking not enough biopellets.

I know, a little off topic. Back on topic. Anyone try this mod with a BRS Jumbo Reactor?

thanks,

Mike