I just want to cry.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by brew0688, Apr 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

I have to respectfully disagree. I have posted about my cyano battle in another thread, but the summary is that I fought cyano for a month and nothing changed. I used BlueVet Red Slime Control and it was gone in 4 days.

I do however fully agree that you have to get everything else dialed in FIRST or the chemical solution will only b a temporary fix. My tank has been Cyano free for about 10 months. Removal of the cyano once nutrients are under control is IMHO the best way to go.

JUST getting parameters in check doesn't remove the cyano and as it "starves" it just releases nutrients back into the water resulting in a mindless cycle.

Texas State Law, HB-8675309, the "Jenny" bill, states you cannot use a fish net for non-fish-netting purposes. (not really, I use a fish net for straining my food)

... anyways, search around there are a lot of good cyano threads in the algae forum, you'll get it beat. Humans are smarter than even prehistoric bacteria.

2. Click Here!

3. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

funny. Texas could easily have a law like that. probably a hanging offense.

4. fish-aholic 94

fish-aholic 94 Gigas Clam

I’m just saying it from personal experience. I used it once, and I haven’t had to use it again (And it’s been almost a year). If you can find what’s causing it, than yes it’s better to fix it. I just got tired of looking at it, and I couldn’t find what was causing it. Maybe you can use it as a last resort.

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I wasn't attacking you personally. I just really don't believe in quick fixes and cure alls. Every algae problem has a root source that can be taken care of imo the right way. I compare to ppl that take a cold med and go to work..sure THEY feel great but the problem is still there and now they are infecting everyone they come into contact with. Chemicals mask the real issue imo. Your tank looks great and the problem looks gone but it's really not and probably will reoccur. Glad it worked for you. :)

6. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

A normal net will have large holes that will pass the brine/mysis/whatever through. A brine shrimp net is a finer micron netting that won't let the food pass through, kind of like a coffee filter.

7. fish-aholic 94

fish-aholic 94 Gigas Clam

I knew you weren’t. I’m just trying help.;)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

:yelrotflm

10. reefing1

reefing1 Astrea Snail

I agree feed with quality frozen foods. Give it time and let things cycle I had similar problems with mine when it started but things even out in time once your coraline algae starts to form.

11. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Yeah, and the last thing we would want is to beef up the bad bacteria in our tanks. One could also increase the redox in the tank to oxydize the baddies to kill off the cyano.

12. PackerFan12

PackerFan12 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

chemiclean. its a red slime remover. use it and two days later it will be gone. clean your tank and fix any nitrate or phosphate levels and thats the last youll see of it.