I have red bugs!

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Kevin_E, Jul 5, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I am sure that if you are not diligent with your dipping that they could come back. I just know that when I had them, they were only on select corals. mainly more smooth skin type. I never saw them on any other corals, so when I dipped with Bayer they dies immediately and I havent seen them since. And trust me, I look often. I'm paranoid in a healthy way.;D

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Well I will try the Bayer today.

10 ml per cup of saltwater, is that right?

4. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

That is correct.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Should I just go ahead and dip everything? Even non acros? I never dipped anything and my colors have been less than stellar. I had nudibranchs at one point on my montis. Maybe by dipping everything I can rule out pests from my color issue.

6. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

You can dip any coral in the Bayer, but I would go slowly. Only dip a few corals in a days time. Because even when you rinse them in fresh SW, they will still leach some of the dip back into the tank, which is highly toxic to inverts. If you were to dip all your corals at once and place them back into the tank, all your CUC and pods would most likely die off.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Okay. I guess I'll start with the ones I see bugs on first.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

It's not smooth skin, but is Red Planet susceptible to Red Bugs?

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Although I could not see RB on my RP I am convinced they were there. The piece did much better after treatment.

All you can do is dip it and see what comes off.

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Great. Thank you to everyone for the immense and immediate help. I'll be dipping a few frags this afternoon, probably within the next hour or 2. I hope things go smoothly. I'll update this thread when there's something worth while sharing/asking.

12. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

You will not be able to see in the dip, because it is very milky white. So once you dip you will want to let everything settle for a minute or 2 and then slowly pour the water out of the dipping cup to keep whatever may have fallen off the coral on the bottom. Then once you only have an inch or so of liquid left pour that into a white 5 gallon bucket or something like a large white disposable plate so you can really see what falls off.

What I ended up getting when I was dealing with AEFW and having to dip on a regular basis, was a sieve screen for brine shrimp. This way I could strain out whatever fell off with minimal effort and could reuse the dip water.

here is what I'm talking about.
    4" SIEVE STACKABLE LOW PRO 120um