i have little bugs invading my tank

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by snooopidydoo, Jun 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

copepod, isopod, amphipod

2. Click Here!

3. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

All very much desired in a reef tank, be happy you have them.....

4. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

about the size of a small rollie pollie, probly amphipods. and you want them to invade
    i know how tuff it is to get a pic of those guys. i tried for a good 30 min at 3:30 am to a pic of the them...didnt really work out

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Not all pods are good. There are known pods that are parasitic. Certain of Copepods and Isopods are known fish predators. Some Amphipods are known to eat corals. But the parasitic kinds are rarily seen in aquariums.

Here is a pic of a amphipod
    [​IMG]

6. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

I'm glad geek mentioned it, because I was about to. Some copepods will actually attack some fish's gills, mind you, they are still visible and you would know if you had this specific variety. And regarding the amphipods, if they have large black eyes, they are most likely the bad kind to have. Believe I read this on one of those IDTHIS websites we have listed in our ID forums. Might want to head over to those sites and take a peak yourself to see what kind you actually have.

7. snooopidydoo

snooopidydoo Coral Banded Shrimp

Got a picture of the bugs!
    Dont think they're bad, but damn they multiplied fast.
    My tank is infested with them lol.
    Here's a pic of a snail being pirated.. (dont worry no snails were harmed in the making)
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. snooopidydoo

Hey you guys..
    so im starting to second think the bugs thing..
    I dont know if they're safe, and i couldnt find any ID bugs links.
    Know of anything? I wouldnt be worried about it but they're seriously EVERYWHERE there isnt a mm in my tank where there isnt like 10.. you stare at my sand and you go cross eyed cause its moving lol.
    If you know anything about the isopods, amphipods, copepods click on my picture and tell me what they are!
    Thanks

10. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

these guys like bristle worms feed on waste in your tank. Those are little bitty copepods and you probably just had a new batch of babies if you are just noticing them. They really are good to have. (I get waves in my tank where there are a crap load visible and then they go away.) you could do a sixline wrasse or a scooter blenny or a mandarin to take care of some of these but depending on the population in your tank. (not just visible but the ones under and around your rock) you still may not have enough to sustain a mandarin for the long haul.

11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

The bugs pictured are Isopods, not the parasitic kind, but I have seen them eat zoa's in the past. Hard to know for sure if they killed the zoa's or were scavenging.

From Marc's site...
    [​IMG]

12. snooopidydoo

The picture of that isopod looks eactly like what i have.