I have invincible GHA AHHHH!!!!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by drew3, Jun 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Granulated ferric oxide; it's used to remove phosphates from the tank. Usually in a reactor, rarely in a bag - just like carbon, except you change it less often.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Granulated ferric oxide (GFO) removes phosphate from your water and carbon helps remove nitrate. You need to clean your filtration and sump often to remove detritus. You should skim wet to help remove nitrates also. Do you have sand or crushed coral? What is you circulation rate?

4. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

i have sand i and i do need more flow i have the maxi jet like 1000 i think and the second biggest koralia and a koralia nano

5. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

whoops i was reading kcbrads stocking list

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

When was the last time you changed bulbs. They need to be changed every 6 months religiously.

7. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

couple weeks ago i change every 4 months

8. Click Here!

9. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Just run GFO and let it run it's course. Watch that you dont overfeed. It takes a good 3+ months to finally deminish. As you keep reefing, you will accept the fact that your tank is going to go through different things. I am not saying not to perform good husbandry. Just dont force the issue. Let it run it's course. It will go away with good maintenance.

1 person likes this.
  10. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

like button k+.

Also I would pick out large clumps by hand, once you get a small upper hand, it will fall into place

11. DrTerro

DrTerro Plankton

Sea hares are great, but only for a short time. I have had turbos tear it up!!!! However I had 3 in a 29gal tank from the start and when the GHA started, they did nothing! I took them in and got 2 small ones, and one really large one. I placed them on 3 of the 6 rocks, and by night time 4 rocks were cleared! I would honestly and I mean this, trade them in for new ones. lol Second is no matter what you have to do manual removal. Also I notice that if you're just feeding fish pellets or flakes, then it's some other problem like: flow, Clean up crew, water, or not enough water changes. On my 29 bio I have removed the remora like a 1000 times!!! I really don't like it in my opinion. But I hope everything works out for you. Take care

12. mcfarrow

mcfarrow Skunk Shrimp

I would not put a sea hare in my tank. One inked a friends 800g last week and killed some of his tangs. Those guys are scary.