I have boulders!!

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by whippy, Feb 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Hammer and Chisel??

1. Yes, it's hammer time!!

86.1%
  2. No way! You'll screw it up!

5.6%
  3. I have no idea and am just here because I saw a poll....

8.3%
  1. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Well I didn't stabilize anything with PVC or acrylic....It's just rock on rock. It's nice and stabile though, I made sure. Heh, heh...

2. Click Here!

3. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

So I'm looking around the tank, paid really close attention while I was playing destructor on those rocks.....
    I didn't get a thing but algae....Not one thing!! i haven't seen a bristleworm....nothing. Hell, I would be happy with aiptasia at this point!! Is it too early to look for any signs of life???
    :(:(

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  4. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

Wait til the lights go out- you'll see!

5. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I need to get some lunar lights....gah!! LMAO

Edit: Still nothing :(

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  6. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

So I rearranged once the water cleared up. Looks nice!! All kinds of caves and stuff. I ended up not using the 40gal and stuck with the 25gal tank because the 40 had a crack in it that I didn't see until I started filling it....FTL!
    40lbs of rock in a 25gal tank looks good!! I'm running the canister filter with carbon and that easter basket fake grass (I've seen it called filter floss?). Switched on the new skimmer last night as well. Water is almost crystal clear!! I know having the skimmer on will take the cycle a little longer but this way I can break in the new skimmer and get rid of all those microbubbles it's spitting at first. I'm super excited except it seems I didn't get any hitchhikers :(

One awesome thing is the filter and skimmer are both rated to 100 gallons so I have a lot of water movement from those alone!!! I meean, I see all the algae waving around and the current is pretty strong throughout which makes me happy that a wavemaker isn't needed right off, LOL.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  7. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Hitchhikers are not always a good thing, there are plenty of bad hitchhikers out there so I would rather have no hitchhikers then bad hitchhikers!!
    What type of algae do you have waving around? You might be introducing nusaince algae already...
    Also, are your bottom rocks resting on glass or on the sand? You want to make sure they are resting on the bottom glass securely otherwise down the road you will introduce a sand-sifting critter and it will all come tumbling down if something burrows under the rocks...

8. Click Here!

9. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Directly on the glass. I don't want a landslide and crushed critters later on!!!
    The algae thats waving is just the dead coralline sloughing off. I just thought MAYBE I'll get a star or some tiny crab(did find a TINY orange crab claw, like 1-2mm tiny!!)

10. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

You will find something, just wait. My rock went through a 20 degree ride in the back of a pickup down the interstate, sat outside for about 4 hours, and still had plenty of life on it. It just might take a while to see it all..

11. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Yeah I'm thinking maybe I'm expecting some miracle. I just thought i would see more than rock and algae this morning. As I said before though, I spent some one on one face time with that rock yesterday breaking it up and didn't see one thing. A couple of burrowing oysters or something in a couple holes but they were dead too...

I'm not stressed. I'll give it some more time!!

12. Vkkesu

Vkkesu Spaghetti Worm

Each week, something new will seem to pop-up. :eek: They come at their pace not ours !::)