I have boulders!!

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by whippy, Feb 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Hammer and Chisel??

1. Yes, it's hammer time!!

86.1%
  2. No way! You'll screw it up!

5.6%
  3. I have no idea and am just here because I saw a poll....

8.3%
  1. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

No pics yet. I know, I know.... Pretty much "pics or ban." LMAO.
    I haven't gotten my new camera yet and my cell co. charges me data usage to send pics to email and such....FTL.

Oh and I didn't bother rinsing too much.... No livestock in the tank=DT cycling. That is ok right? I know I've read a million places that it's ok..... Gah, now I'm second guessing myself.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

people have have been making little rocks out of big rocks for millions of yrs larger the hammer easier the job..

4. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

LOL, I know that's right!!

5. white-rasta

white-rasta Bristle Worm

you can definatly break it up. maybe wrap it in a towel first, before hammer time

6. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

Somebody had to vote no way man, you'll screw it up. Well at least you can make the rocks that you want.

7. Fusion

Fusion 3reef Sponsor

i prefer large pieces cause you can always make them smaller. id be happy if i were you. when you get small pieces and have to cover a large overflow box, structure, etc. thats were the challenge is.

break with concrete drills, saws. tile saws, hole saws...you can get really creative and use the tools and specific cuts to really create a hot decor so you can cover all man-made components and just look at a slice of nature.:)

8. Click Here!

9. szrazzt

szrazzt Purple Spiny Lobster

I personally like larger rocks. It makes it easier to create caves and arches in your tank rather than having the rockslide look.

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I have shaped about 80% of my rock with a hammer/chisel. You wont hurt anything. Heck I recently took the chisel to a big rock that had a pair of maxima's on it so I could place them in just the right spot.

11. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

The only trouble I was having was not finding the tools I wanted to use. I just feel like the rock pieces were either chips or chunks. I left one alone after splitting it into thirds, i think it's my favorite. I did break off a hunk , like a knob, that was covered in algae so i put that right next to some of the bare white insides, LOL. Now my water looks kind of like I should have pirannas in there!!! I'm sure it will settle by tonight. I even tossed all the little slivers back into the tank just to use up all that bio-goo on them ROFL

12. Vkkesu

Vkkesu Spaghetti Worm

Hay....personally I like that rockslide look....it does keep life interesting
    everytime we add new corals!:eek: