I have a Leak!

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Mystique, Sep 16, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mystique

Mystique Astrea Snail

I have a leak in my 55 gal. freshwater tank! And I can't find it! I have a Rena canister filter under the tank. That does not appear to be leaking. For a while, I had a bit of condensation running down my cord for the lights. I had drip loop, so no worries! But I moved the cord and still am having problems. I looked under the stand today and I had an inch of water in an ice cream bucket that I had food in.

I can't close the doors to my stand anymore... ! I am thinking that I should move everything to an empty 30 gal. while i find the leak and let the stand dry out!

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

ahh jeez, that sux dude! i would deffinately find everything a new home quick, but be prepared to re-silicone whatever side its on, i have not heard to many people that had success in "patching" a leak.

4. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Good luck and how is it going since this morning?

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Yeah....patching a leak is tough. I have patched mine five times now and just went back "online" with my sump a few hours ago with my final patch. I have had it. I am getting a new tank. 55gallon tanks are cheap. I wouldn't mess with it at all. Especially if you cannot find it. Just get another one.

6. Mystique

Mystique Astrea Snail

I am still losing water...haven't found it yet. Hubby was gonna see what he could see, but hasn't gotten to it yet. Right now I trying to eliminate to possibility of the Rena canister filter. I have the cord with a drip loop over an empty bucket. Maybe I have a gasket or something gone bad in the filter.

I don't have water under the tank on the stand as far as I can tell. Perhaps it is the Rena causing problems. Still lookin'!

7. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

I have always found there is no quick fix with a leak removing the old silicone and resealing the hole tank has always worked 100% of the time for me.

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I have a feeling that its the canister and not the tank. Tanks do leak, but that is very rare. Take the canister apart and assemble it again. Keep an eye on the seals as you assemble it. Luna

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Good advice.

I think if you're vigilant enough you should be able to find the source of the leak. Will your stand allow you to run your finger around the bottom inner periphery of the tank? If that's wet, then it's coming from the tank. If you suspect the canister filter, don't just have the drip loop above a bucket, have the canister filter AND the drip loop above that bucket.

A leak that's bad enough to cause water to accumulate will leave signs. There will be moisture somewhere it's not supposed to be--and I mean in addition to the interior of your tank stand. Set aside an afternoon and address it. You WILL find the source.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  11. Mystique

Mystique Astrea Snail

It seems that once again, ya'll here on 3reef know what you are talking about. It seems that my son had lifted the lever on the top of the Rena, no water coming in or out of the filter. I took the filter apart checked the seals and put it back together. Seems to have done the trick, though I could not see anything obviously wrong with it. Thanks again for all the support. You guys rock!

12. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

There ya go!! Glad you found it! :)