I hate cycling!

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Eli_The_Eel, Apr 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mattchew

mattchew Bristle Worm

just put some live rock in there or cocktail shrimp and not kill fish

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I have heard of it and some people say it will help to start your cycle because urine contains ammonia. It will not, however, speed up a cycle nor do I know many people who are willing to urinate into their own tanks.

4. cornfacereef

cornfacereef Astrea Snail

That's to funny cocktail shrimp I never heard of that. The people at the LFS told me to pee in the tank several time a day. Specialy the first morning pee when you wake up is more concentrated.

Well I will keep the cocktail shrimp in mind. The pee stuff seems yucky.

5. reefersRus

reefersRus Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Urinating in your tank is just gross. There are alot of harmful bacteria in urine. I don't see how urinating in your tank would be a good alternative to cocktail shrimp.
    Stick to the shrimp man. Also, whouldn't urinating in your tank make it smell awful after a while?

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

You can just toss a hunk of frozen fish in there also or a dead mouse anything.. Assuming you have a way to keep the bacteria from dieing out as the cycle goes on for lack of a energy supply or bio load for their numbers . Bacteria will come and go depending on what there is for them to do or feed on or the Load declines so do the bacterial colonies. Thats the point of a single live fish to keep a constant and steady bio load on the bacteria so they will level out and stay in their proper numbers.
    But as for anything dead will work a Hot dog as well as a ball of raw hamburger . Slice of Ham dead bird :) or as mentioned a pee and even better is a cup of Boo Peep ammonia to kick it into over drive.

Your fish tanks can not store and hold any bacteria in a reserve fashion like a piggy bank. Take a fish out of a established tank and the bacteria will have die off to regrow in numbers and add another fish to a tank increase the bio load and the bacteria will take a week or so to catch up in numbers to accommodate that new addition thats why its best to wait a week or two is better between new animal additions. Them bacteria do their work in their own time ..You can't rush or fool them.

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'd bet you urine is far less nasty and has less bacteria then a rotting hunk of shrimp.. Urine can be ingested to ward off dehydration or dieing of thirst :) Its been done and is being done .. Somewhere :)

8. Click Here!

9. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Ill just throw one of Amcarrig's numerous dead cats in............

10. Nemo 22

Nemo 22 Coral Banded Shrimp

i urinate in my tank all the time. everytime i do a water change i urinate in the water first then throw up a bit and if the fish are really hungry i poop in the new water let it sit for one day then mix it all up and do a water change.works great my clowns are each 4 inches and my sailfin has grown to 8 inches in 2 months.hmmm i feel like using the bathroom.lmao jk but it wouldnt surprise me if someone did try it one day.lol

11. mattchew

mattchew Bristle Worm

HAHAHAHAH

12. mattchew

mattchew Bristle Worm

bair grills..... i think thats how you spell his name?