I guess this is where I say 'hi'

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by volleygirlie2414, Oct 11, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kalex

Kalex Plankton

That goby is as cute as a bug! Hi volleygirlie2414 and welcome. I am new on here as well. I've had my tank for 2.5 months now. And loving it! I'm sure you are too.

From one newbie to another - test, test, test, ...
    I am eager to do corals but am having a low ph problem. So I gotta get that fixed first. But testing is the best way to understand if something funky starts going on with your tank. I'll test at home and then take the water to the LFS and get them to test it. Just to make sure my readings are the same as their readings. If not, something's fishy! Sorry for the pun. :)

Enjoy!!

2. Click Here!

3. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

are you adding calcium/buffer to your water?

4. volleygirlie2414

volleygirlie2414 Astrea Snail

Nope, what is that?? I haven't heard about calcium yet...lol

5. volleygirlie2414

P.S....The goby is eating spectrum without sifting it out...yay!!

6. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

whoops that was directed to the person who posted above me. if you are not keeping coral calcium addition isn't needed unless you want to just grow coralline algae (the purple stuff) although keeping your calcium and alkalinity levels in check will keep you ph alot more constant and in the right range. although just doing water changes may be suffiecent based on what salt mix you are using. glad to hear about your goby maybe he was just full before. my fish like to eat food after they can't eat anymore and just spit it out

7. volleygirlie2414

***Does anyone on here have a lionfish, or know about their feeding needs??***I really need to know approximately when to feed him!! Thanks :)

8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

We fed the ones at the store live feeders every couple of days. See if you can find feeder mollies, usually like 6 for $1 or something like that. Mollies are brackish water fish which can be turned into saltwater (el cheapo cycling fish) People will tell you to acclimte them, but I never did, and I never had a problem with them. They are generally consumed fairly quickly. Depending on the size of your lion depends on how many to feed it. You could also try silversides(small bait fish sold as food in LFS's) or possibly raw fish from the local meat market(walmart). I SERIOUSLY reccommend using a feeding stick if you feed anything other then livefood. Pick up a piece of rigid airline tubing, the kind that comes with a undergravel filter. Cut the tip into a point so you can stab whatever you're trying to feed it and waving it in front of its mouth.

Eventually, if you keep it long term, you can be able to hand feed it, but gotta watch out for its spines. I had an orange toadfish for a number of years, and I had it tame enough that when I walked by the tank, it would swim to the surface and roll on its side so I could rub its belly, lol.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

+2 on every couple days or so. That was my experience with my tank in college. I meant to reply earlier when I read that your lfs recommended a few times a day. ::)

11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I would say twice a week, but it might decide to get a snack inbetween feedings, and lose a tank mate, lol.

12. volleygirlie2414

Fuzzy doesn't eat people...he is very nice!!