I guess this is where I say 'hi'

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by volleygirlie2414, Oct 11, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. volleygirlie2414

volleygirlie2414 Astrea Snail

I don't have a skimmer...yet...are they very important?? I have a filter for like a 55 gallon tank though!!

P.S....I still havent caught the goby sifting...should I be worried??

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

yes VERY important especially with the bio load you have..... Aqua C Remora(hang on back=HOB) is what I have on my 55gal, Great skimmer and not too expensive!!... Don't go cheap on those..you get what you pay for! Is your goby an engineer goby? is it a baby(1-2")? if it is, mine just swam around a lot and didn't sift until it was about 1/2 grown.

4. volleygirlie2414

I will be getting a skimmer VERY soon...don't worry...umm, he is a spiny cheek goby...he is like 2ish inches long including tail...I have never heard of his type, and can't find any info on him...[​IMG]

5. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

oh boy, how big is your fuzzy lion, if the goby you have isn't wider than your lions mouth then you are going to hava missing goby in a few days. and as long as your goby is eating frozens then no worries, be happy he isn't sifting cause once he does you are going to have a sand storm/or rock slides on your hands. the pic didn't work for me and i haven't heard of a spiny cheek goby before, could you describe it? you may also want to look at the coralife super skimmers the hang on tank version works very well with a few simple mods.

6. volleygirlie2414

The goby is MUCH larger than the lion...He (the goby) is white with irridescent bluish/purpilish spots...he has a yello stripe in his tail, and when I put in spectrum he tried to eat it, but it looked like he sifted it out...is that supposed to happen?? He is one wierd fish...

7. volleygirlie2414

8. Click Here!

9. volleygirlie2414

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Funny, I've never seen that type of goby before. Did your LFS tell you that it absolutely sifts sand?

11. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

that really is an awesome goby...is he eating ok?

12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

That is a Valenciennea longipinnis aka Sleeper Striped Goby, they get like 6"s and require a mature sandbed or supplemental feeding.