I guess this is where I say 'hi'

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by volleygirlie2414, Oct 11, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Hey Volley welcome to 3reef!

I know everyone else here is trying to be welcoming and so am I, but I can't help but to look at your stock list and just :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: That's a TON of fish for a tank so young! Mine is 5 yrs old and twice your size and even *I* wouldn't have that many fish. Especially the Lion.

I think you need to rethink some of your bio-load, to be honest. And if you ever have any hopes of getting corals anytime soon, that starfish is going to have to go. Chocolate Chip Stars eat corals readily.....

2. Click Here!

3. volleygirlie2414

volleygirlie2414 Astrea Snail

The lion is just a lil baby :tongue4: He is so cute, and the fish store said he will stay small cause he is a dwarf...he is also very calm and not the least bit aggressive!! Right now I am not going to go the coral route...I prefer swimming and active fish and inverts...no need to worry everyone...I am not going to add much more...prooomise!!

4. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

*Shrug* All righty then....

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

7" (adult size) is not really what I would consider a small fish. I'm more concerned about the fact that these fish have special feeding requirements and also produce a lot of waste which can spell trouble for a small tank such as yours. Also, once that fish gets larger, it will most likely eat whatever fish you have in the tank that it can fit in its mouth. Just food for thought.

6. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

+1!!

Thank you amcarrig

Unfortunately a lot of fish stores will tell you a lot of BS just to make a sale. You didn't buy that Lion from PetCo, did you? They are the worst! Also did you know they are poisonous? You have to take EXTREME care when putting your hand in the tank with them.

Plus you say you're not going to add much more? I really believe you should be taking things OUT. The last thing you need to do is add anything else. Your tank is barely cycled (1 month is not enough) and your bioload is already 10x what it should be.

I'm sorry, I wish I could be more optimistic about this. But there are a lot of very experienced aquarists on this site that I would hope would agree with me. I made the same mistake when I was new to this, too. My first tank was the exact same size as yours, 29 gallons. It chewed through my wallet so fast because I went through fish after fish after fish. I didn't have this resource when I started out (well I didn't know about it anyways).

I'd just hate to see you have half your livestock die, get discouraged, and opt out of this hobby. When done correctly it can be extremely rewarding.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I agree with you 100% :D

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Me 3 :)
    Going fast is only good in drag racing not SW.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Although I agree... I want to make sure volleygirlie2414 doesn't take this as a pile on and run away.

Everybody - or most everybody - has started where she is at and with an LFS that will sell and say almost anything.

We can gently nudge her from there.

Like saying 'Bigger tanks are easier!' <- TRUE!

;) :)

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I agree, and I happen to be a good nudger :D

12. volleygirlie2414

volleygirlie2414 Astrea Snail

Kay, well, I'm new, so give me a break...No one has died and so far all is good...I don't know what I would do cause I can't imagine getting rid of anyone...If Fuzzy (my lion) eats anyone I will give him back...I dunno what else to do except to not add anything else!!