I got a quarantine tank! Quick question

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Ballgame, May 31, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

^+1, since they are back in the DT, it's now an option if you want to try and let them ride it out or put them back into the QT soon. Just try to keep the stress level as minimal as possible and if you have any selcon soak their food in that to help. Sorry to hear that it is frustrating and it isn't easy but keep plugging away.

Ballgame likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

The DT will still have the parasite and any new additions would more than likely be the main target of it ..
    The DT needs to be fallow to let the ich die ..
    I'm only trying to help, i have dealt with it numerous times before i finally knocked it out of my system for good!!

Ballgame likes this.
  4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

at this point, I would attempt to let them ride it out in the DT. I think another switch to the QT would be stress that most likely would intensify the disease. I agree with flyn......if they are eating well, no need to soak the food but if not, try soaking in selcon or garlic to get them eating. I am a believer if you keep the fish healthy, then they most likely can fend off the infection even though it is in the system.

Ballgame likes this.
  5. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Actually have a positive update. Got a $6 sponge filter with my filter pad wrapped around it. Instant activity in the QT. Wow. Still don't understand how a sponge filter can make such a big difference.

Ok so..... Question about QT time. I was 2 weeks into QT with cupramine. I put the dying fish back in my display tank for 1 day when he got ich again. He is now back in QT. Does my clock start over to day 1 or does my fallow time continue at 2 weeks and counting. If I had to guess that 1 day wouldn't make clock start because ich was on him and not falling off in sand. Right or wrong?

Pic of my filter

Attached Files:

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

well, I think you were due for some positive activity ballgame! good to hear!

Ballgame likes this.
  7. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

The clock unfortunately has to start over .Especially since the fish had visual spots again,but either way you have to restart the process .
    Glad your fish are hanging in there for you..Clowns are tough little buggers,,I mean they are damsels after all ..Good luck

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    Ballgame likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

My thinking is that there are probably some coming and going all the time. In other words, I don't think they all leave the fish at the same time. One spore can multiply by 200. I wouldn't take the risk considering your fish seems to be in a stable place.

Ballgame likes this.
  10. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

I know you don't want to waste the time and don't want to hear it but I would start the clock back to day 1 unfortunately. Simply IMO is that if you leave the clock and continue where you are at then everything will finish early and the fish will go back into the tank when the fallow period hasn't been complete yet. The stress of just moving back over to their old environment may be enough for the ich to come back and your right back to square one then unfortunately. I know it's not easy but I can tell you want to rid your system of ich and the best way is to let them complete their life cycle and die off without a host.

Ballgame and Billme like this.
  11. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

thanks all. In my notes Ive been starting the clock over. Sucks but is what it is. This is nuts thought....ich that is. Did you guy have similair problems with ich? Am I alone in this? Besides putting fish back in DT haha. But it saved him. Today is day 3 in QT which is a dose day. Did a 5g water change and then dosed. Fish are eating but one clown was leaning on its side. It did eat so thats good.
    Thanks all

12. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I had ich on a blue hippo tang that I had in a 55. I was new and shouldn't have put it in a tank that size. When it got sick, I was methodical and took my time (went slow). I caught the fish and put it in a ten gallon qt. I had a hob and heater, that was it. I treated using hyposality. It was treated and sold to a more appropriate tank. It's still alive to this day and very big and healthy.

I think that you are moving a bit on the fast side. You seemed to be pulled in many different directions which in this hobby is never good. Read read read. Then when your done reading, read some more. All the info out there is mostly personal experience with some Scientology wrapped in it. Things will get better.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    FeedYourMachine, Billme and Ballgame like this.