I got a quarantine tank! Quick question

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Ballgame, May 31, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Subs cause using new water for water changes? I'm making new water instead of taking from DT. I'm treating for ich so didn't think DT after original fill up would make sense for QT.

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

That's probably a wise decision at this point. You can always treat again, if it's necessary, after you get qt figured out. How many fish are left?

Ballgame likes this.
  4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I don't understand.

Ballgame likes this.
  5. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

You need to do 100% water change ..Start with fresh pure saltwater ..The QT/hospital tank obvious has trace amounts of ammonia still.
    I would actually take the remaining fish out put them in a bucket ,empty the QT start with fresh water ,some new rock and sand from your DT and start hypo..Thats just my opinion ..At this point you have no idea how much copper or ammonia the fish have been exposed to ..Hyposalinity is actually a calming and less stressful thing to put fish in..

Ballgame likes this.
  6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

From what little I know of qt with no filtration, you have to be prepared to change as much water per day as needed to keep nitrogen at a minimum. The smaller the tank and more fish will require more volume changed. And yes, you want to use new water. The water from display will be contaminated.

Ballgame likes this.
  7. FeedYourMachine

Yes,you need to have some filtration ..Actually you could use your DT water since you will be treating anyway ..But i would personally just make up a batch of fresh hyposalinity water.
    A sponge in a PVC is not filtration ,there is no water movement over the sponge ..

Good articles by Steven Pro:
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/sp/index.php

"Even given its few drawbacks, hyposalinity is a great method of curing infected fish of ich in a proper hospital tank. Of the treatment options discussed this far, in my opinion, it is by far the safest. While none of these options is appropriate for use in a display tank, and all have their drawbacks, weighing the pros and cons of each leads me to recommend hyposalinity above the others."

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
    Ballgame likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

it sounds like your QT doesn't have enough of an established biological filter and perhaps the copper level is too high? I understand why you put the fish back in the tank - obviously the QT is not a safe place. I'm so sorry you're dealing with all of this :(

Ballgame likes this.
  10. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Just wasted 3 weeks of QT. Fish I saved is loaded with ich. Migh. It's my fault I know.

I have a filter I was going to use in my daughters 10 gallon. Can handle up to 20 gallons. QT is 30 so is what it is.
    I'm frustrated and I'm dumping cash over cash over cash into this. I'm out of money!! Articles and YouTube videos for QT tanks didn't mention filter as long and water changes often. Which I do. I'm using Cupramine so can use carbon. So what the point of a filter if I'm doing water changes daily.
    I want to give up on this. So discouraged. Everything was going well then boom.
    Now have to start clock over cause I saved that fish but stress brought back ich

11. FeedYourMachine

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

don't give up! I know we've all had points in this hobby where that is definitely considered. It may be possible to still have your fish heal if you keep stress down (turn off lights) feed well, and observe.

Ballgame likes this.