I give up with film algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Puffer Chick, Dec 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

how is their bioload in the tank? i'll be having 6 fish for my total stocking list, but may be able to get one more. if this stuff really is coralline thing they will be able to get it off?

2. Click Here!

3. RNO CORALS

RNO CORALS Bristle Worm

Blennys will not be able to get coraline algae off. Film algae should not be that difficult to remove, you have any pics of the algae on the glass.

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

lights are off right now, i'll try to get some though, i have some decent side patches and just like a thin layer of it all over the glass, i would think the thin layer would be easier to get off but its just as hard as the small patches

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

so these are the best pictues i could get, i couldnt get good pics of all the patches or the thin layer on the rest of the glass. But it's both green and purple, i originally thought the purple was cyano, and i also have some sort of algae thats been building on my powerhead
    this is a shade of purple
    [​IMG]
    green
    [​IMG]
    and whatever craps been building up on my powerhead
    [​IMG]

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

this is coralline (you will have to very frequently keep it clean to keep it easy to remove with a mag float. otherwise, a razor at 45* should do it). You are beginning to see why many of us hate coralline.

[​IMG]

If this is just as hard to remove, it is green coralline.
    [​IMG]

Some of that is coralline and I also see hair aglae on top. Nothing to really worry about.[​IMG]

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Also, PC, here's a protip for you.

When you start scraping off coralline, TURN OFF YOUR SKIMMER.

I know you have an HOB model (and you may still be leaving it off, not sure on where you ended up there). But these biggish sheets of coralline can clog the pump in the skimmer pretty easily.

I turn off my skimmer. Scrap all the coralline from the viewing sides of the tank, let coralline settle, turn skimmer back on.

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok thanks for the tip, and i've gotten my skimmer somewhat working so i'll turn it off, ive got to clean it anyways. this coralline really does suck, i liked how it looked on the back of your 55 i wuoldnt mind the back of my tank looking like that but not the front and the sides

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

so i did my weekly water change toda, i got most of it off, well at least the big patches, still having a hard time getting the thin green layer off

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

It's so funny how when we start out all we want is for the coralline to start spreading, and then when it does it's a total PIA!! Haha Good luck with your fight!

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

hahaha sooo true! im loving it on the rocks but not on the glass