I found the cure for water changes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by OverStocked, Aug 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OverStocked

OverStocked Coral Banded Shrimp

When im with my ant she gets me the stuff that i would like but don't need.

I have ever kent reef supplement my LFS sells and some other food supplements.

2. Click Here!

3. OverStocked

I got a 20H sump that full of water and only has one divider for the skimmer.

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I stand corrected, though that should have been specified so we can help you more.

If we don't know your specs, it is hard to help.

5. OverStocked

Its ok but all my specs are underwear i'm typing.

6. OverStocked

Ok what if i do 5gallon wc ever week with fresh water but still do my 5g everyday to keep 0 no3 ?

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Here's a link for you.

Having that 5g fresh makeup water is kinda neccesary. Without it, you're going to get a high amount of some trace that's not being utilized in the perfect ratio established by Kent, which is going to hurt your tank in the long run.

If your real issue is nitrates rather than the cost of doing water changes, consider a coil denitrator, or Ecobak pellets.

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

OK.... this is not even addressing the problem. There is no reason for letting a bucket of waste water sit and the next day NO3 be zero. If you stir it then it's the same as being in the tank. NO3 does not evaporate. One... I would suspect your testing to be faulty.

Second, doing large water changes to remedy a overstocking problem is not good for the fish or the reef. Over stocking is not a problem of filtration, we can culture plenty of bacteria for that. Overstocking is a problem of not enough O2 for your fish. They are suffocating and a minor upset will likely kill them.

Sorry, but ignoring common stocking concerns and just saying so what.... well perhaps you should be in another hobby. What's the point of doing water changes if you are not going to do what you should to provide a proper habitat for your animals?

10. OverStocked

A tank is a habitat for tank raised fish only.

My no3 levels normal stay under 10ppm but are never 0

11. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

Forget it Powerman.....You did what you could....as we both know we have seen people on this forum and many others that are just ignorant in their ways and want to stick with them....They can have 30 people say its bad and if only 1 says yes its ok to that....they will do that...you gave your honest and in my eyes DEAD ON opinion on the issue and was ignored so lets leave it be and let the weird water change ritual go as is.....

12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

......Whether a fish is wild-caught, tank raided(still wild caught) or tank-bred... It's still a fish. It is still living. It is still being harmed by overstocking, in excess.

Edit: A sump should also not be accounted for when it comes to stocking. The fish can not use it for swimming space, so that part of the water is not it's home.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010