I forgot the name of this coral!

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Magnus, Apr 26, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I'll send Hunter or Mike S this way, they'll know for sure.

Magnus and zesty like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Can you take a picture square on through the glass and wipe the lens clean first? I'm not sure if the lens is dirty or if there's glass distortion by virtue of an angle here, but I'd need to see the structure a bit more clearly.

That said, I'd lean pretty strongly towards Pavona cactus right now.

Magnus likes this.
  4. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I know you can google pavona and such, but I had a pic, so I figured I'd throw it up here as a reference...

[​IMG]
    F.H. Steve says Hi.

Magnus, Corailline and chris adams like this.
  5. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

I was thinking Pavona also. Think we would need a bit more of a closeup pic. This is a close up of mine. P4208352.JPG P4208401.JPG P4208403.JPG

Magnus, zesty and Corailline like this.
  6. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Woo... got some homework to do! I will try to take a better pic. I only have my phones camera, but my wife has a point and shoot somewhere in this house!

Will update in a bit with a picture... or several.

zesty likes this.
  7. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Guys, im sorry. I cannot find the point and shoot. Im stuck with the camera on my Galaxy S3.. which is an older phone. Here are the settings I can change, just in case it would help to get a better picture. I know the resolution is at the max, but thats it.

uploadfromtaptalk1430669635085.png uploadfromtaptalk1430669641937.png uploadfromtaptalk1430669648893.png

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

You may be able to clean up the photo a bit with technique. First make sure the glass is clean on the camera and tank. Turn up lights all the way. Hold the camera up against the glass for stability. Try to shade the lens from as much light as possible. Light on the lens will render a foggy pic. I don't think it matters whether you zoom during pic or crop in after taking pic. If there is any motion on the coral then turn off the pumps.

Magnus and Corailline like this.
  10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Yeah, pressing the phone up against clean glass will be your best bet. If it's too dark, you can try turning up the ISO, but realize if you push the ISO too high, it will get grainy.

Magnus likes this.
  11. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Will do soon. My father has been hospitalized and I've been taking care of him. But will try those techniques and post the results the very first chance I get.

12. Gabby

Gabby Spaghetti Worm

I've had luck with magnifier apps on my Galaxy S5. You still have to hold the phone super still, but the auto focus works way better with the app software vs. the built-in android stuff.

Magnus likes this.