I finally did it.

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Zgetman, Jun 13, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Granite or marble would look very nice and give it an expensive look.

I originally used wooden shims but now you can find plastic shims too. I level everything, fill it completely, then cut the excess shim off using a box cutter knife or a small hand saw. Barely noticable if at all.

2. Click Here!

3. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

I used the composite shims on my tank. Cheap and easy. They break off right at the edge of the stand. Plus if water ever gets on them for some reason they won't rot/swell. I still have trim work to do on my stand so it will hide them completely.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Z-man,

Totally agree with this.

#- You don't need ply on top of the stand for Glass- my new 180 is still BB and I can bend down and look up at the rocks!
    - I wouldn't use foam, it just accentuates the highs and lows, etc.
    - Also- that upper ply helped you b/c- You should definitely put the load of the 55 THRU a vertical board like your corners- not on the fasteners.
    IIWY I would put some verticals under the front support

But- nice job on the stand.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

great looking stand and workmanship! I love the idea of a granite top. If you make it a darker granite, that will really accentuate the tank.

6. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I am really wanting to use the granite top. I am curious though. If I use the granite top will it distribute the weight evenly across the whole stand? I don't know if granite or marble would bow anywhere. any thoughts?

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I wouldn't think so in terms of bowing.

8. Click Here!

9. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Granite top would be nice. The way your stand is now you if you have a glass tank you can set it right on your 2x4's with out the plywood bottom and will be fine. My aquarium 125G I put 1 x 5 oak around just the front and sides and used a router to give it a nice edge and that is what my tank sits on. It's been that way for 6 years never any issues. The way your stand is built will hold the weight with no problem. No foam needed. I agree if it's acrylic flat bottom then yes. With glass not necessary. Make sure it's 100% level all else will be fine.

[​IMG]

10. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

As much as I would like granite or marble top, it is way out of my price range. I will be using 1 x 10 pine board for the front and 1 x 5 pine board for the sides and back. I was only going to use the ply-wood so I could use shims to level the whole tank. I built my tank stand on an uneven surface and I don't have level surface to really check it. I guess I will just have to get it set in place and then try and shim the corners, or I will shim the ply-wood underneath before hand. I am not sure how to do it.

11. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Why would you want a granite top anyway? Unless your tank is BB you won't see it except for the edge. Even in a bb tank, I don't think you would see the value. You could paint the bottom with a sponge technique and it look just as nice for a bajillian dollars less.

Then maybe you can acquire a narrow piece for the edges under the tank for the look.

Save as much dough as you can for the corals. :wink:

Alfie uk likes this.